News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Modifying a Spectrum USRA 2-6-6-2

Started by jonathan, October 07, 2017, 01:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Folks, couldn't believe my luck today at a train show.

Found a Spectrum USRA 2-6-6-2, in the black box, with a square tender.  This is an early issue, which is just what I have been looking for.  This should modify nicely into a B&O KK-4b or even a KK-5.

My luck continued, as the vendor and I went over to the test track.  The headlight would come on, but the wheels would not turn.  So the seller let me have it for a song.  I'm sure it's too old for the warranty, but the card is still there.  Probably won't mail it in.  The wheels are still shiny.  I wonder if it's even been run before...

Where's the luck in that?

I got it home and took it apart in about 5 minutes:

DSC_0886 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Discovered the problem was a disconnected motor lead.  Fired up the iron and had the loco fixed in 15 minutes:

DSC_0885 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

It's the red wire connected to "M+".  

Ran the loco around the track quick to make sure all is well.  Joy.

I will be posting, from time-to-time, my progress on the modifications.  I'm in no hurry with this one, so don't expect quick results.  Thanks for reading.  

Regards,

Jonathan

sarasdad

BaltoOhioRRfan

Hey Jon, heres photos of the two B&O 2-6-6-2s I did. I really only added a capital dome and changed tenders haha.

one of these days I may take the number boards off.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

jonathan

This does not have sound nor DCC.  However, it is DCC ready and could have sound added without too much trouble, other than drilling holes for a speaker.

BORRF, nice locos as usual. I intend to strip this down and add as many B&O specific details as possible.

Regards,

Jonathan

ACY

Quote from: jonathan on October 07, 2017, 07:44:59 PM
I intend to strip this down and add as many B&O specific details as possible.
Out of curiosity did the B&O locomotive you are trying to model burn oil or coal? I think I may have a spare Vanderbilt or Hicken tender somewhere if you need one.

jonathan

Thanks, but it burned coal with a square tender like the original Bachmann loco... so I'm good to go.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Things are going slowly, but I do have a bit of progress to show:

On the boiler:

Rearranged the pipes to accomodate a top feed double check valve;
moved an air compressor to the side and modified pipes for new arrangement;
relocated bell and whistle; and
started painting the smokebox area.

DSC_0897 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

On the tender:

Built a white metal kit. Doghouses have become really rare.

DSC_0890 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Flipped up the back of the coal bunker to make the doghouse fit.  Will clean that up eventually.

Also, started constructing a reverse light.  The PCB has tabs to connect reverse light wiring.  So...

DSC_0892 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I'm going to mount the LED to the inside of the tender shell, and use a light tube from one of my old consolidation projects:

DSC_0893 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

That all I have for now. Hope to churn and burn this weekend.

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

Pretty fast start there!

What do you plan to use for a new boiler front?

jonathan

J3a,

You got right to the 64 million dollar question...

The smokebox front is C&O style.  I'm on the hunt for something that might work... perhaps a Precision Scale Q boiler front might fit.  We'll see... for now I'm attatching detail parts with white glue, so I can pull them off easily, when/if I find a new replacement.

Thanks for asking... ;)

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

I remembered this from a while back. . .wonder what the diameter is.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,13419.0.html

Maybe it'll help out.

jonathan

Ah, I do remember that thread.  Thanks for tickling my memory.  I will go through and see what sources folks used for parts.

Today's progress:

Hopefully the extra +/- tab on the PCB will work for a reverse light.  I connected an LED (green and red wires).  You can also see I'm fresh out of shrink tubing... used 5 min. epoxy to coat the bare wires.  Should be OK:

DSC_0898 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Pushed the LED into the light tube and taped it in place:

DSC_0904 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

The tender is just about complete.  I'm using a heavy hand with the weathering.  I've found powders mellow out over time.. probably from handling and the like:

DSC_0905 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0906 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I had a rerail frog for the right side, but I lost it down the drain when I was prepping parts for painting.  :D  And yes, I took out the trap to see if it came to rest... no such luck:

DSC_0908 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Here is my temporary smokebox front.  It's just press fit, and the parts are attached with white glue:

DSC_0912 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I added the auxiliary tanks to the top of the boiler.  They are made of 5/32" aluminum tubing, filled with epoxy, and detailed with 1X3 styrene:

DSC_0913 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Waiting on the mail for the top feed check valve.  Then I can sand and finish the boiler.

The last steps involve detailing the drive assembly:  weathering drive wheels, modifying the headlight, painting the cab interior, repainting the engineer and fireman, and a few other things.

Regards,

Jonathan  

jonathan

Just a few tidbits today...

It's difficult, at best, to see inside the cab of a steam loco.  However, I did a little painting, in case anyone sticks their nose down in there:

DSC_0921 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0920 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I'm using #7521 (KK-4b) as my prototype.  The boiler walk had a "bridge" built over the air compressor.  Don't know the actual nomenclature, but:

DSC_0919 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Paint is still drying on that.

The top feed check valve came in yesterday:

DSC_0923 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

The boiler is getting close to being done.  Soon; on to the drive mechanism.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Shell modification is completed.  Here, I've given the shell a good scrubbing. Now, it goes in the cabinet to dry for a day, before I start weathering:

DSC_0928 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Now it's time to start playing with the drive mechanism.  First, I need to start patching holes.  I pulled a couple of tanks and some piping from underneath. The holes left behind are visible, even after the shell is put on top.

I used some resin flashing to patch the square holes:

DSC_0926 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

And some styrene rod to patch the round holes:

DSC_0925 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Been tinkering with a bit weathering underneath.  I've discovered neither neolube nor weathering powders like to stick to the white sidewalls on the tires.  This was a C&O loco, so the tires were white on the side.  

It's going to be quite time consuming, but I need to scrape the white paint off and redo the weathering process on the wheels.  It's not hard to scrape off the paint, just ssssslllllooooowwww, especially with 12 wheels to deal with.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Coming together:

DSC_0930 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0929 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

On to the pony and trailing trucks...

Regards,

Jonathan