News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Acela Locomotives

Started by djm20685, December 08, 2007, 12:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djm20685

I am trying to determine if there is any mechanical or functional difference between the Acela locomotives 83003, 83004 & 83005. 

Also, my son has an HO scale Bachmann train set & set up.  Will the Acela HO scale trains run on his tracks?  Does any other scale run on the HO tracks?

Thank you!

Conrail Quality

The Acela will run on any HO scale track as long as curves are kept to a minimum of 22" radius, but due to it's European-style drawbar couplers, it can't couple with standard HO equipment without an adapter coupler, such as a Kadee #18.http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page58.htm
On30 equipment aslo runs on HO track and also uses the standard knuckle(non-drawbar) couplers. As for the numbers, Bachmann produces powered and dummy Acela power cars, but they are virtually always sold in one powered, one dummy pairs. Those are the only differences I know of between different Acela power cars(because they are semi-permanently coupled to the cars, they aren't true locomotives, hence the term "power cars").
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

djm20685

Thank you very much for the information, it was extremely helpful!

Happy Holidays!

Stephen D. Richards

Check your product numbers again.  I believe you may be asking about the Acela #81949 locomotives which used the straight couplers.  The product numbers you listed were for the HHP-8's and they used knuckle couplers and they would be readily compatible with all other Bachmann rolling stock.  Bachmann and two types of Acela locomotives.  The use different couplers!   Stephen