HO Scale Porter 0-6-0 Side Tank Locomotive

Started by PhillipL, October 21, 2018, 06:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillipL

Hi All,

I have recently seen a very good price for the Porter 0-6-0 Side Tank Locomotive.  I am a straight DC railroader and I understand that the locomotive is DCC.  I have Bachmann GP-7, GP-9 and RS-3 that are DCC which I have no problem running on my layout.  My question is will the Porter 0-6-0 run on straight DC?  If is does run on DC, what are the running characteristics?  I currently have a Mantua 0-6-0 which I am happy with (I am not super detailed orientated).  Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Flare

I assume you mean one of these?

https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=258_276_915&zenid=9p57f6tu7srq4kt4m07n0dag41

The descriptions say they have 'dual-mode' decoders, which can operate in DC or DCC mode.

The drawback to running dual-mode decoders in DC mode is that the loco will need more voltage to 'wake up' before they start moving than their straight DC counterparts; but once that minimum voltage is reached they tend to run just fine.

PhillipL

Hi Flare,

Yes that is the one I was referring too.  Thank you!

Len

If the decoder has a 9-pin connector for the wires, and you only operate DC, you could removed he decoder and replace it with a JST dummy plug like these:
http://www.digitrax.com/products/mobile-decoders/dhdp/

If you look around on-line you can find them at discounted prices.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rich1998

This appears to be a soldered in decoder. I have had a couple Bachmann locos that had a Bachmann plug in decoder that looked similar. No idea if there is a connector at the decoder under the shrink. He might have a different setup.

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=9460

Rich

Len

If there's a 9-pin connector under the decoder shrink he could use a JST dummy plug. If not, he could remove the decoder and tie the red and orange wires together, the black and gray wires together, and use some diodes to tie the blue, white and yellow wires in for directional lighting.

Len

WoundedBear

I am certain that these are soldered in decoders with no plug connection anywhere.

Even the Spectrum 0-6-0 had no plug.....just a soldered in decoder.

Sid

rich1998

I agree. I just found my two old Bachmann decoders. Wires come out of the decoder. Just like in the photo. I doubt Bachmann would ever put a connector under the shrink.
I remember seeing JST connectors in my Athearn Roundhouse locos.

Rich

Len

If the decoder is hardwired it could be unsoldered from the PCB and jumper wires installed to replace it, like this:

1. The solder points for the red and orange wires are connected together, with a feeder to where the blue function common went.
2. The solder points for the grey and black wires get connected together, with two options for the lights:
   a. If directional lighting isn't needed, a feeder is added to the white and yellow wire solder points. If the lights are LEDs be sure to include a dropping resistor.
   b. If directional lighting is desired, one of the many directional lighting circuits available is installed instead of the feeder wire. Or you could build your own directional circuit.

Len

PhillipL