News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Acela Express

Started by infamouselijah, October 23, 2018, 09:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

infamouselijah

I have been considering purchasing the Spectrum Acela Express, but I have a few questions.
1. Is the set DCC only, or can it operate on DC also?
2. Will it work on 18' radius track?
3. If it can operate on DC, where can I find the train by itself excluding the track etc?
4. Is it any faster than other locomotives?
5. How can I replace the couplers for normal knuckle couplers, and what couplers should I use?

jonathan

Infamous,

1) The set will operate in both DC and DCC. In the past, DC and DCC sets were offered. I believe all new sets are DCC, but operate DC as well.

2) Absolutely not.  22" radius is the minimum.  Cars are long.

3) Try train shows. However, the entire sets are more often available at shows. Individual pieces are usually pretty torn up by the time they get to the sales tables.

4) At full throttle, the train seems to operate pretty quickly, though I've never run a speed test.

5) Kadee sells replacement couplers.  I recommend against it. The cars are so long that regular knuckle couplers tend to separate on curves and any minor hiccup in the track. The locking couplers, that come with the set, work best.  I tried replacing the coupler with the Kadee knuckles and it didn't work out so great.

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

The prototype Acela uses Type-H "tight-lock" couplers. Kadee #118 'whisker' couplers can be modified into Type-H couplers, but they have a standard shank, not the NEM style shank the Acela needs. Unfortunately, none of the various 'shelf type'  couplers are available with NEM shanks from Bachmann or Kadee.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

infamouselijah

Are the coaches similar in length to the 85' smooth side cars? I have some of those, and they generally work decently on 18' curves, however, they do look a bit unrealistic.
https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_88&products_id=5898
I was looking at it on the parts store, and noticed that they sold separate couplers that should fit the Acela.