News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GE 70 ton switcher

Started by Montanan, October 26, 2018, 09:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Montanan

A couple of years ago I picked up a GE 70 ton switcher, DCC ready. I do operate DC only at home. I ran the locomotive a few times and it was set aside while I worked on other projects. My layout is a switching layout and I bought the switcher as it is a match for the paint scheme for my freelance raolroad.

The problem is that to locomotive will no longer start from a stop. A tap on top of the hood will get the loco moving. It was lightly lubricated as it was quite noisy. After letting it run for a while, it did quiet down a lot, but still wond start from a stop the majority of the time without a tap on the hood. With power applied, the lights will light up but the loco just sits. It is picking up on all four axles. Once it is running, it does operate smoothly even at very slow speeds. It is acting like there is a brush problem with the motor. Access to the motor is limited and I have no idea what the problem is.

Do you have any ideas of what I can do to get the locomotive running properly?

jonathan

Just a guess, but it sounds like the loco did not get a good break-in.

I would suggest making a circle of track and running it for a while... at least 20 minutes, in both directions.  Then, turn the locomotive around and do it again.  This should help the motor/moving parts respond better during initial start up.

Also, all locos need a good wheel cleaning when purchased--even when new.

Regards,

Jonathan

Montanan

As I mentioned, the locomotive was quite noisy. After lubricating the gears with a light plastic compatible grease, I let it run around my layout for a couple of house in each direction. The noise stopped, but the locomotive wouldn't start on its own without some prodding.

ebtnut

As Jonathon noted, you need to give the wheels a good cleaning.  Kadee makes a brass brush type cleaner that powers the loco while the brushes scrub the wheels clean.  Also, the track also needs to be cleaned periodically.  A rag and some alcohol will clean the gunk.  This is especially important if you have brass (as opposed to nickle silver) rail since brass oxidizes fairly quickly. 

Montanan

Cleaning the wheels was one of the first thing that I did. I use alcohol. My track is all code 70 S/S rail. I usually keep a track cleaning car in a train when I run them. In fact, in order to find and problems with dirty track, I'll run a DCC locomotive around as they are a lot more sensitive to any dirty track. With the shell removed, power was applied and the LED lighting came on at a little over 4 volts but most of the time the loco just sat. I checked the pickups with a meter and all four axles are feeding power to the brushes. Again, a tap on top of the chassis would get the loco moving. Once moving, the voltage and be lowered and the loco barely creeps and then responds to the throttle throughout the voltage range. I was going to try to spray contact cleaner on the brushes but they are almost impossible to get access to.

I would post a photo of the chassis, but the photo is too large for this forum.

rich1998

You need a photo hosting site to post a photo here.

I bought a 70 ton about eight years ago and must have been lucky. It runs fine. Upgraded to LokSound and has great slow speed and sound. Set it to proto speed. Clean track and wheels.
On board decoder not the best.

Rich

Len

Check the wires going to the main board, under the black 'caps' that hold them in place. Not the 70 tonner, but I've had some issues on other locos where a wire wasn't making good contact with the board and it took a tap on the loco to get things started.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Montanan

I have checked everything from the wheels to the brushes and there is a complete circuit.

infamouselijah

I had a similar problem with my 2-6-2 (which is now an 0-6-0) when I had lighted coaches on the track. I believe that the coaches were using up most of the power, as the coaches would dim when the locomotive started moving. I'm still not sure what causes this, but for me it only occurs sometimes, and if I feed slightly more power to the track it usually starts fine.

Montanan

Occasionally it may start on its own, but that's rare. When the voltage is turned on (I keep meters in line wit the throttle) the LED headlight some on at around 4 volts. Full voltage can be applied and it still wont start moving until a light tap is applied to the top of the locomotive.

infamouselijah

I have no idea. Maybe you could try to contact the service department.

Montanan

The service department looks like the next step.