Gordon causes a short circuit

Started by sour rails, December 17, 2007, 01:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sour rails

I just received a new Bachmann Gordon.  But when I stick him on the track, my controller tells me there is a short circuit.  I decided to put him on an electrically gapped portion of my track and scoot him towards the powered part.  The moment his front two flywheels touches the power, I get a short circuit.  I then reversed him, and with the rear two flywheels, I still get a short circuit.  I haven't sent in the warranty card for him yet, seeing that I just got him today.
??? Does anyone know what I can do, or should I contact the service dept.
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]

Corrie Thompson

Well I am thinking that maby there was a wire put in the wrong place or maby not put on at all.  Check and see if Gordon will run without his front wheels and the back wheel. ;)

sour rails

Quote from: Corrie The SVD Writer on December 17, 2007, 01:38:52 PM
Check and see if Gordon will run without his front wheels and the back wheel.

??? what? ???

Guilford Guy

I highly doubt its an incorrectly placed wire.
Put the engine on the the track, 1 axle at a time. If all the drivers short it is an internal problem. If 1 Driver shorts it is a wheel problem. If one of the pilot wheels, or one of the trailing wheels shorts it is also a wheel problem. If all the drivers short, take the shell off and see what is the matter. I had a short in a Proto 2000 GP30 caused by a broken gear which did not separate the 2 different axle segments (Athearn and P2k locos use half an axle, where two are inserted into either sides of the gear. There is plastic that separated them that had broken off in this loco. I'm sure Gorden uses a different mechanism but if the plastic piece used to electrically separate the two drivers per axle is broken then that is your problemo...).
Alex

sour rails

The pilot and trailing wheels work fine,  Both front and rear flywheels cause the short, but I can't really check the center flywheel.

Thanks Guilford Guy, I'll take a look at it.

Guilford Guy

If u cant check the center, put Gordon on the rails at an angle so only the Middle Driver(Flywheel is part of the motor mechanism) is touching the railhead. It should look like Gordon has derailed.
Alex

sour rails

I tested his middle flywheels on one of my turnouts, and it still registers a short circuit.  As for taking him apart, I'm not that confident in myself.

Thanks anyway

Corrie Thompson

Well buddie if I were you I would send it back and get another one. ;)  Does that help any. :(

sour rails

Sure, it helps in one way.  But it'll be hard to run him while he's in transport back and forth.   I'll wait to send him back until after Christmas.  That way I know Bachmann should've had enough time to receive my warranty card.

Thanks Corrie and GG, and have a
MERRY CHRISTMAS,and this post marks the end of this topic. :)

Corrie Thompson

sour rails

Just because you added a post, does not mean you extended the topic.

Guilford Guy

Quote from: Corrie The SVD Writer on December 17, 2007, 10:13:51 PM
HA!!! Guliford Guy check and mate. ;D
Désolé je ne comprends pas- "HA!!! contrôle et compagnon Monsieur Guilford."
Êtes-vous se réjouir pour quel que raison?
Qu'est-ce que ceci pourrait être? Je ne suis pas sûr ce que vous obtenez à cela. Il a mentionné tous les deux nous. Ce peut encore ne pas être un fil si est ce ce que vous dites. Merci, au revoir.
Alex

Corrie Thompson

No comprendo. :P

Guilford Guy

En espagnol- No comprendo!
En francais- Je ne comprends pas!
Alex

Corrie Thompson

Ok let’s leave this alone for Bach-Man to delete. :P  Besides Chaz is probably not happy with us right now anyways. >:(