News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding a Tsunami 2 decoder into an engine

Started by dkida, November 20, 2019, 04:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkida

Hi,
I want to get Bachmann #50202 SP Daylight 4-8-4 engine.  I would like to add a Tsunami 2 decoder into this unit, but not sure which one to get?  Also would it be a plug n play, or would I have to solder the decoder in.

Flare

If I found the correct exploded diagram for that model, it should be fairly simple.  I've installed a few Tsunami 2s into my locos.

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H502X-IS001.PDF

The diagram shows a standard 8-pin socket for decoders with a matching plug.

The Tsunami 2s do not come with those plugs though, you'll need to solder one on or replace the wiring harness.

Either the TSU-1100 or TSU-2200 will work.  The 1100 is easier to fit in tight spaces, but I prefer the 2200 if it will fit in your loco's tender.

I would advise the TSU-2200 'Steam 2' model if it will fit.  It's pretty much the same as the smaller TSU-1100, but has two advantages:

Firstly, Soundtraxx sells a wiring harness with a 8-pin plug on the other end that is compatible with the TSU-2200.  (Part number 810135)

Second, the TSU-2200 has a socket for a Current Keeper, which will prevent the sound from cutting out on uneven or dirty track.

A Current Keeper can also be added to a TSU-1100, but requires more soldering.

Also keep in mind that a speaker will need to be added to the tender.  Soundtraxx sells them, but make sure you get one that is compatible with your decoder's output.