News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Problem with new locos

Started by zefram, November 05, 2019, 01:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zefram

I recently ordered 3 Bachmann locos, but as soon as they arrived I had problems. I bought 2 DCC with sound, and one DCC without sound.

First, a quick note about my setup. I don't have a layout yet, I just have 2 meters of test track setup to play around. It has some switches on it, but for debugging I unplugged those in case there was a short. I have a Zephyr/DCS51. Other locos (BLI, Athearn, Walthers) are working just fine on this track.

The DCC without sound actually runs fine. But I can't access it with JMRI, and I wasn't able to program it using the Zephyr using either programming track leads or on the main.

The two DCC with sound locos just don't work at all. When they're on the track by themselves, there's no sign of life at all (using CV3).. that is until I turn off the power to the track, then they flash. When they're on the track together, they flash their lights 10 times. When one of them is on the track with another loco, they do the 10 flashes sometimes and sometimes make strange noises.

Then it gets even weirder for me.. When the working loco is receiving commands, sound seems to kinda work from the locos. When the working loco is moving at around speed step 5, the locos can operate. (?!?!?)

Does anyone have any idea what's going on??

For reference, the units I bought are:

#62808 GP9 DIESEL (DCC EQUIPPED) - Pennsylvania (this is the one that kinda works)
#65409 Conrail - NS Heritage - GE ES44AC - DCC Sound Value
#66803 CSX - EMD GP38-2 with DCC Sound Value

Thanks!

John

graywolf

The only one I have is the GP38-2 CSX #2640 and it works fine. Have you tried changing the address from 3 to the cab number but one at a time on the track because out of the box they are all set at 3. You maybe trying to work all three at the same time with the same address.

bapguy

Check the voltage to the track. 10 flashes means an over voltageto the track.        From Soundtraxx:  Error 10 - Over-Voltage Fault
An over-voltage fault indicates that the track voltage is greater than 22 volts.
When this error occurs, motor control and sound will be shut off and the
error code will continue to flash until the voltage is brought below 22 volts.
Note: Tsunami's absolute maximum voltage input is 27 volts! Track voltages
exceeding 27 volts may cause permanent damage to the decoder.
     Joe

zefram

Quote from: graywolf on November 05, 2019, 03:41:20 PM
The only one I have is the GP38-2 CSX #2640 and it works fine. Have you tried changing the address from 3 to the cab number but one at a time on the track because out of the box they are all set at 3. You maybe trying to work all three at the same time with the same address.

When the engine is on its own on the track, it doesn't respond at all. Using the controller, nothing responds on address 3. And using JRMI, it finds nothing on the track. There's no lights or anything until I turn power off.

zefram

Quote from: bapguy on November 05, 2019, 09:58:58 PM
Check the voltage to the track. 10 flashes means an over voltageto the track.        From Soundtraxx:  Error 10 - Over-Voltage Fault
An over-voltage fault indicates that the track voltage is greater than 22 volts.
When this error occurs, motor control and sound will be shut off and the
error code will continue to flash until the voltage is brought below 22 volts.

Yeah, I read that somewhere about the Tsunami. Do you know if there's a way to change the voltage on a DCS 51? It seems like it can't be changed... I'm using the standard input, which is 13.8V, and it's supposed to have a .5V drop off. I don't have a RRampMeter, just a multimeter.. And I thought you can't measure DCC voltage with a multimeter?

Is there somehow that a short circuit could be causing this to happen? I'm kind of thinking that a short circuit isn't the cause, because the locos do work when there is something else on the track.

bapguy

There's no lights or anything until I turn power off. This should not happen. How is JMRI hooked up to your track? Can you do a simple diagram of how the DCS51 and JMRI is hooked up to the track?  Do you have a separate isolated track for programming?     Joe