News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Short Circuit Disaster

Started by Lizz, November 10, 2019, 06:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearedenginefreak

Lizz,
I just looked it up. The reset procedure is as I described earlier. Program track, program 8 into cv8. Remove locomotive from power for 30 seconds.
Hopefully, it will come back to life.
Loksound advertises that they have current overload and short protection built in. So hopefully it saved itself.

I jope this helps you.

WoundedBear

I'm with JWard on this one.

What are you using for a reverse loop controller and how is it wired?

Sid

Trainman203

The address may be scrambled too.  And not to 3.  A BLI address changer is a well spent $70 to clean up disasters like this.

Get all the affected locos off the layout and onto a known clean test track (one at a time of course.)  Be sure that you know the address either through your cab or through the worthily purchased BLI address changer (highly recommended , it has saved me many times.). When you know that you are actually communicating with the engine, do the cv 8 reset, or through the address changer which can do it. Report back with results.  Like the rest of your friends here, I too believe the engines are merely confused at the moment.

Lizz

Gearedenginefreak,

Thank you! If this works, I will be ecstatic!! I have to finish my non-train 8 hour of work first. (finger tapping and sighing)

jward,

My million dollar answer will be worth a nickel. I inherited this layout. I haven't been using the DS64 wired to this particular, problematic turnout or any others. I haven't spent my time in learning this aspect yet. I manually flip the switches and not that specific one very often (which could have revealed/caused this problem)!

So, would the SC64 been the correct power source for the reverse loop or should I go ahead and purchase OG AR (and keep procrastinating use of the SC64)?

Trainman203- thanks for the hope! I don't want to be a loco-murderess. 

jward

i can't find anything on the SC64 but i suspect it is similar to the current DS64 which is merely a stationary decoder meant to operate switch motors. if so, we now know what your problem is. I suspect that there is no autoreverser wired into your layout. In Fact, i suspect the reversing loop has no provision for changing the polarity of the loop at all. Is there by chance a toggle switch wired into this section to control it?

Two things MUST happen when you try to run a train through a reversing loop. First, the polarity if the loop MUST match the polarity of the track the train enters from. Second, while in the loop the polarity MUST be cg=hanged to match the track the train will exit from. If either of these fails to happen, you will have a dead short through your locomotive as it attempts to pass over the insulated gaps.

The autoreverser will automatically take care of both those tasks if installed and working properly. But you don't seem to have one.

First thing i'd do is try running trains around the layout without using the reversing loop. Having wired a dead short across a DCS50 Zephyr i can tell you first hand they are robust, tough little units. Mine survived and is still operable 15 years after this unfortunate incident, even if it did smell line smoke for a long time afterward. In you case, running some of your other locomotives will tell you if you've done any permanent damage to the Zephyr.

Once you've gotten that sorted out you can asses what if any damage you've done to the locomotive decoders, using the suggestions others have made.

Before you attempt to use that reverse loop again, make sure you have provisions for reversing polarity of that section independent of the direction control on the Zephyr. The autoreverser seems like a worthwhile investment. To be honest, i've never personally used one. On my past couple layouts, anywhere i needed a reversing section had only one entrance/exit and any needed switching of the polarity could be done using the extra contacts on a tortoise switch motor.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Lizz

Sorry, Jeff, yikes, I was hit with dyslexia typing- SC64 is my code for DS64.

You are correct in that the only means I understood to address the reverse loop and changing polarity are those simplistic insulated joiners.

Much. to. Learn.

Thank you for this contribution and I will study it very closely now!
Lizz

jward

DS64 makes sense. I couldn't find any mention of an SC64 even in the retired manuals section of digitrax website.

Now all you need is an AR1 autoreverser wired into that loop track according to the instructions that come with it and you should have no worries .

BTW, about the Zepjyr, how did the little fella fare?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Lizz

Hi Jeff,

We happened to have a train show in town last weekend so I had it checked out and I think it's doing OK. I am optimistic about "Zee".
The jury is still out on my conviction of loco destruction.

I've been spending time tonight researching different reverse loop gizmos. Um, there is quite a variety! Now I know you like AR-1, but... I've read PSX-AR might be better (though more costly). When I reviewed the installation sheet, I nearly ran for the hills. AR-1 seems much easier to install, but everyone raves about PSX-AR. I should stick with cheap and simplicity, right?

Flare

I'm looking to get some PSX-ARs for my layout as well because they can operate the turnout as well as reverse the loop polarity.  My trains like to derail on occasion because I forget to set the points.

However, there are two versions of PSX-AR:  One for Tortoise switches, and another for snap coil switches.

Best make sure you get the correct one.  ;)

Lizz

Hi Flare,

I've gotta ask. Where are you going to purchase your PSX-AR?

Thanks for the tip! I didn't realize there were two types.

Flare

Quote from: Lizz on November 11, 2019, 10:25:20 PM
Hi Flare,

I've gotta ask. Where are you going to purchase your PSX-AR?

Thanks for the tip! I didn't realize there were two types.

Likely from whoever offers the best deal.  :P

Lizz

All,

What would happen if I installed 3 AR-1s, but I only actually needed two. Will the third installed AR-1 cause me problems if it truly did not exist in a reverse loop?
Seriously, this could be my very last question for this string!!  Don't miss your opportunity to educate and as my mother would "to have the last word"!  :D

AND I just realized that I am missing the PM42 I once had attached before dissembling for moving to new home.  :o

bapguy

I don't recommend the AR1. Had 2 fail on me. I get the PSX OG AR here:  https://www.litchfieldstation.com/product/auto-reverse-module-for-dcc-basic/
Worth the extra money. And remember, the isolated part of the loop must be longer then the train going through it especially if you have metal wheels on your cars.   Joe

Gearedenginefreak

Lizz,

The suspense is killing me. Did you get the loco(s) running again?

Lizz

Gearedenginefreak,

IT WORKED!! On the first try for BOTH engines!!!! I can hardly believe it. I finally had time and didn't expect anything and it worked like magic!!

THANK YOU!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D