News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Short Circuit Disaster

Started by Lizz, November 10, 2019, 06:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizz

Hello, I am fairly certain I just killed two DCC trains. They are dead on the main line and test track. Other trains will work on the test track and I am too fearful to put them on the layout. Could I have caused the short by placing Proses track voltage tester across a turnout's 3 rail lead (yeah, I'm on a 2 rail HO)? Or did the short happen because that same turnout happens to be a reverse loop (it has insulated connectors) but the trains always stopped at that point? I ran them over the area A LOT to determine where the power loss was happening.  Recommendations on how to fix this? And are my trains permanently goner's?

Thanks- I'm so sad by all this! But I am really trying to learn as much as I can!

Flare

Did you isolate the return loops on the main line side, or the loop side of the turnout?

Lizz

I wish I knew! I have a photo of the layout diagram which is only 37KB and the system is not allowing me to upload it. One of those days!
The layout is a figure 8 with an outer circle that can loop you back to the opposite direction meeting right back up at the same turnout.   

Flare

You can upload it on another site and post a link to it here.

The gapped rails are supposed to be on the loop side if it helps, not the main line.

Lizz

Let's suppose their placement is correct. Could I have caused the short with crossing 3 tracks with the voltage tester?
I see no outward damage to the trains, but are they lost cause?

Flare

Yes, it is possible you shorted the tracks.

The trains may need new decoders or motors now.

bapguy

What DCC system are you using? The command station should shut down when a short happens provided you have enough feeder wires. On a reverse loop, both rails on the 2 sets of tracks coming off the frog need to be insulated. You will need an auto reverser  wired between the track bus and loop. Several makes are available. I use DCC Specialties OG AR. It's electronic. Some are have a relay to reverse polarity.      Joe

Lizz

Hi! I am using Digitrax DCS51. It's possible that I missed seeing the rolling o's. I was focused on the voltage tester.
The closest feeder wire to the turnout is four feet away. Yes, the 2 sets of tracks off the frog have the insulator joiners. Do I need to replace the turnout?
It's difficult determining the reverse loop on the layout even for experienced folks. I will look into the OG AR for certain. Thanks!

Flare

Are you using a total of four insulators or gaps on the turnout?

4 feet is pushing it, but shouldn't be a total loss of power.

Is it possible that one or more of your feeders to the loop is connected backwards, causing the short?

Gearedenginefreak

Sometimes, locomotive decoders get their brains scrambled in a short but not destroyed.  You might try a reset. The procedure to reset depends on the brand. But fairly common is to put the locomotive on the program track. Program cv8 = 8. Then after doing so, remove power ftom the locomotive for 30 seconds or so  by tipping one side of the locomotive up off the rails. Then after 30 seconds, put it back down on the rails. If the reset was successful, the locomotive should respond to address 3 which is the default address of new locomotives / decoders.  Then if it does respond, you can go about reprogramming it to your preferences.

Do you know the brand of decoders involved?

Hope that helps you.

Lizz

Hi Flare,
Yes, I'm using 4 insulators on the turnout. The feeders appear to correct, but I will double check that again. (It's a low chance of that being the cause).

Hi Gearedenginefreak,
It's a Kato loco DCC with sound (so not cheap). I don't know the type of decoder- still looking for it online though so I can answer you.
What if there is no response? Send back to Kato for repair?

Thank you both!!

RAM

I don't know much about DCC, but I remember reading reset the decoder.  I wonder if that might work.

jward

The million dollar question nobody has asked is how were you powering the reverse loop? Did you use an autoreverser? Did you change the polarity of the loop through contacts associated with your switch motor? Or did you simply hook up two wires to your zephyr like it was just another track?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Gearedenginefreak

Lizz,
According to the video link you provided, that locomotive has a loksound decoder made by ESU. Excellent decoder. I will look up reset procedures later when I can get to my computer.
Someone else may beat me to the answer though.
But chances are pretty good you just need to do a reset.