News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Santa Fe locomotive squeaking

Started by orangemaze, December 23, 2007, 01:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangemaze

I just bought a new train set to go around the tree this year. The locomotive is squeaking, I believe it just needs to be lubed, but I can't figure out how to get the plastic housing off, and I don't want to break it. It is a Diesel Style Santa Fe locomotive if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Nice to see these haven't changed much in 30 years, and the new tracks, are NICE! And they work with the old, nice to see they kept it backwards compatible.  While the car connectors are different, the hobby shop sold me adapters to change the new cars, since I didn't want to mess with the older cars.

mechanic

On both sides of the locomotive in the middle at the bottom there are "tabs" that sticks out into a recess for the tabs in the body shell.
You need to gently pry both sides of the body outwards slightly and the body should just slide up and off.
HTH
Eric
Schutzhund:because you can't always have your .45 auto with you.

orangemaze

That was the 1st method I tried as my old Tyco locomotives worked that way, but I do not see any tabs. I have pried the sides apart as far as I dare, slid thin metal through to see if I felt anything that I may not be able to see. Still cant get the housing off. I am working in a bright room, using a work bench light.

kevin2083

What type of diesel is it? Santa Fe had many different kinds of diesels.

On some b-mann diesels, the fuel tank needs to come off first. If its a GP type locomotive, the fuel tank can be pulled down to remove- there are no screws holding it in place. After the fuel tank is off, you should see 2 screws holding the shell on.

______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

orangemaze

It is the EMD F9 Diesel Shell, stock no H615101 f-9 Body shell. I have tried everything. I am about at the point of taking it to the place I bought it at and asking the clerk if he has any clue. It seems as if it is glued on, if that is possible.