News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO scale Bachmann vs .....

Started by Uncle Mike, May 15, 2020, 05:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Mike

Is there any difference in HO scale trains between manufacturers? eg. say Bachmann vs, Tyco or Bachmann vs Athearn. is there a difference in dimensions? I have been building my 4'x8' layout with Bachmann trains and track. I'm quite impressed. Everything is working great.My reason for this post is  I recently aquired a Vintage Tyco HO train that won't run on my track very well. 
Michaelangelo Borghi

prr22

No matter what brand of train or track or manufacturer, you can set any train that says HO on track that is HO with a power pack that says HO and it will work.  For individual brands, the only major choice you need to make is what you like.  You can mix and match.  The great majority of modelers (including myself) will tell you that they don't just buy one brand but many, many, many.  Experiment around...  What brands do you like better...  I for one love Rapido, Athearn, Atlas, Walthers, BLI, and Bachmann.  And PLEASE don't let price fool or tempt you.  With proper maintenance, any model can run well for a long time to come.

Starting out, I'd always go to my local hobby shop and buy used.  In fact, I've converted some of my old analogs to DCC to run on my current layout today.  I have tons of Bachmann, IHC, and Rivorassi that work great, and I haven't lubricated them one time (I probably should, but I mean...).  It's all up to you, buy what you want.  Just remember it's all about having FUN  :) !!
Modeling the rolling hills from Baltimore to Pittsburg

Trainman203

The "vintage" Tyco train is most likely not running well because it probably hasn't  been run in years.  Every electrical contact point is oxidized and the lubricants are probably half dried out into sludge.  No one expects a car to run after sitting idle for years. Why should a toy train?

I always tell people ... Beware, O beware of the pestilence called the "used engine," lest thee saddle thyself with the cursed albatross known as the "pig in a poke."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_in_a_poke

Terry Toenges

When you say vintage do you mean old and used or old and never used? If used, I guess the question is "Did it run on other track before you got it?"
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

All HO ready to run trains trains are basically " operationally" compatible (more or less) with each other with the exception of one European line that runs on AC on a highly modified three rail system.  That being said , there are quality spectrums from the cheapest and crudest models to meticulously detailed historically accurate locomotives that can exceed $1000.

There also are several proprietary track systems that may or may not be interchangeable.

You may run across older cars with earlier, more primitive couplers than the contemporary knuckle couplers on just about everything today.  They can usually be upgraded but sometimes a tough customer will be found.

At this point you are certainly operating DC current trains with a "power pack."  Sooner or later you'll hear about "DCC" operation, another world unto itself, but be aware that DCC engines are not intended to operate on DC systems and can sustain damage if attempted.

prr22

On my layout I just run knuckle couplers with those old plastic ones and cross my fingers LOL ;D
Modeling the rolling hills from Baltimore to Pittsburg

Len

Your 'vintage' Tyco probably needs the wheels cleaned and some lubrication. Any suggestions beyond that would depend on what the locomotive is.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Uncle Mike

Here's a comment that should make everybody laugh ..... I had the vintage cars running backwards. I picked them up, rotated them 180 degrees and VOILA  problem solved!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Michaelangelo Borghi

Trainman203

This is only partly funny because there are cars with defined front and rear ends , like railroad cranes and observation cars. A railroad crane should never be run on the road with the boom pointing forward.