News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reverse loops

Started by a17dl, July 04, 2020, 11:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a17dl

Using Bachmann EZ track and have two reverse loops. Plan on using  both DCC and DC for the layout switching between them. Would the Bachmann auto reversing track work with both systems or would I need separate power to each reverse loop area for DC. I am new  this DCC concept and could use some guidance.

rich1998

All I have heard is auto reversers will not work with DC. You need a DPDT switch for a reverse loop. DCC has the code to make the reverser work.

Rich

a17dl

rich1998

When our club switched to DCC a number of years ago, we had a reverse loop and fourteen blocks, four throttles. we thought of some DC and DCC in some blocks and the reverse loop. Did not work plus we toasted the five amp booster by running a couple locos from a DC block into a DCC block. No more DC. Our DC throttles were good for 2.5 amps, hand built. HO layout.

Rich

a17dl

. Looks like I should just stick with making my layout DCC only

rich1998

Good choice unless you have a good understanding of the difference between DC and DCC.

Rich

Trainman203

Yes keep them separate. 

rich1998

Oh, more details. If your layout comes close on one side and decide to put in a crossover, that is a short reverse loop and requires a reverser. Our club layout on DC ran one direction and was lke that.
When we went to DCC, we realized we could put in a crossover.

Rich

jward

Do your reverse loops each have just one switch you use to enter and exit the reversing section? If so, you can use an Atlas snap relay or other latching type circuit to operate the reverse loop. This will operate on both DC and DCC.

In reading your post it appears you have confused autoreversing track with an autoreverse unit. the Autoreversing track is designed for a point to point system like a streetcar that reverses direction at the end of its run. It is not suitable for use in reverse loops. The autoreverse unit, which is wired between the Command station and the track, handles the reversing function by sensing a short circuit when trains enter or exit the loop, and instantaneously reversing polarity to that section to conform with the track the train is crossing to/from.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA