News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-4-0 Jupiter Trouble Down Under

Started by Sunshine Express, December 26, 2007, 03:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine Express

After running my new 4-4-0 American Richmond,my old and trusty Jupiter 4-4-0 out--shopped 1998,suddenly refused to go.
Never having been undone,wheel and pick ups cleaned regularly,it took 9 years for the "Gunk" to clog up the electric motor.
Took off the tender cover,and there was the problem -. Cleaned it up and after re-soldering the motor hook up wires which came off because of my fiddling,re-assembled everything several times .
The  motor runs.but not real fast, -- old age ?
Now I cannot get the drive universal shaft to mate properly,whist the motor runs,there is no mechanical grip,the shaft seems to slip ?
It may need a new motor ? Beautiful old Loco , what should I do ?
Owen C Robinson

Jim Banner

The ends of the drive shaft have little moulded on pins that fit into sockets.  It is possible that these pins have worn off one end.  More likely, one or both sockets that the ends of the drive shaft fit into have split and are loose on their shaft.  This can happen over time.  One solution is a tiny bit of ACC applied to the inside of the shaft end of the socket.  Use only what you can carry on the pointy end of a pin.  This is not always permanent but it is easy.  DO NOT apply the ACC to the shaft!!  If you do, sliding on the socket will most likely push ACC into the motor bearing or into the gear box bearing.  It is possible that what you perceive as a slow motor is in fact a slipping socket.

On the other hand, the motor might be running slow.  A small drop of light oil on each end bearing, applied where the shaft comes out of the motor, may help.  Heavy oil, like 3-in-1 or motor oil, is too heavy.  If the motor is open frame, check that the brushes have not worn out completely.  Also check that the comutator is clean.  If not, you can clean it with Q-tip dipped in isopropyl alcohol.  Then use a magnifying glass and tweezers to make sure every last strand of fuzz is removed.  If and gunk has made its way onto the working ends of the brushes, you can often remove it with a narrow strip of note paper dragged between the brush and the commutator.

Incidentally, the root cause of the problem was probably jealousy.  Your Jupiter didn't like sharing your layout with the newcomer.    :D
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

SteamGene

Jealousy is quite likely the root problem.  My wife is concerned that the VT&P locomotives in the barn are jealous of the narrow gauge NPS (North Pole Southern) in the house.  I had to remind her that the NPS is a wholly owned subsidy of the VT&P. 
Follow Jim's suggestions. 
Merry Second Day of Christmas.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Sunshine Express

Thank you Jim and Gene,I am back on positive thinking again. Old Jupiter will haul her little Roundhouse Clerestory roof cars with pride,once again. The "train speak",and genuine love of the hobby is received here with sincere appreciation.
A Happy & Healthy New Year to all at the Forum,from Down Under.
Owen Robinson
Owen C Robinson