Emd gp40 clicking noose ez track

Started by Sanosuke, November 01, 2020, 06:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanosuke

Hi guys

I've looked around for an answer to this, but haven't found a solution. Sorry in advance if it's a simple question, but it's my first train.

I have noticed that my loco makes a clicking noose everytime the front or rear trucks go over the points at which the track connects. It's quite loud and distracting, and I was hoping there might be a way to fix it.

I was considering taking it apart to see if there was something I could do but I'm not sure what the fix would be. any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated

jward

Metal wheels going over metal rail joints are going to make noise. I suspect that hollow nature of the EZ track roadbed amplifies that noise. Maybe you could fill the open space underneath the track with a sound deadening material?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Sanosuke

Hi, thanks for the idea! I'll pack the underside with some batting or something to make it hopefully a little quieter. Aa long as I'm not missing something obvious and it's expected I'm happy. I was just worried something was wrong and didn't want any undue wear and tear on the track or engine.

Thanks again for your help

rich1998

I am wondering if putting cork under the track might help. Just do not attach it with fasteners like many do with sectional or hand laid track.

Rich

Terry Toenges

I use this. 1/2" wide and 1/4" thick. You can cut it in strips and stick it on under E-Z Track. With the 1/2", you can do three strips wide underneath. Get the  1/4" thick. Anything more is too thick. It makes a big difference. You can get it at Lowe's or Walmart and other stores. This pic is when I was first experimenting with it.

Feel like a Mogul.

plas man

I always thought that real trains went clickety click when the wheel's/trucks went over the rail joints  ;D

check that the rail is inside the rail joiner , Bachmann do sate this on their instruction sheet .

although if it is a regular click that would suggest split gears