HELP! 4-8-0 runs slow in dcc but fine in DC.

Started by billoberst, November 05, 2020, 10:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billoberst

I have a new old stock Bachmann 4-4-0 that will not respond to the speed increases using DCC until it  gets up to around step 30 then seems OK to each step increase above around 25. It runs very good on DC and will start moving on lower DC voltage thru 12 volts as normal. But on DCC from step 1 thru step 20  very little movement then at step 30 it responses normally. I have tried increasing  CV 2 up as far as it will go but very little change, I have tried adjusting the different CV's with JMRI decoder pro and still no help. I also changed out the decoder for a TCS model and got the same results. If anyone has a good idea please let me know   thru this board. Thanks Bill

rich1998

Welcome.
Don't put you email address in the body of a message. Anyone can see it. Hackers use a Bot to scan the Internet for email addresses.
Anyone who signs in here can see your email in your profile. Just leave it there.

Rich

billoberst

rich1998

You are welcome.
Sometimes new people do that here.
Wish I could help. I have the Spectrum 4-4-0 and 4-6-0 with Soundtraxx micro plus a 4-6-0 with onboard sound but never had that issue.
Good luck.

Rich

Trainman203

Try the engine on another layout.  It might be your control system .

jward

It sounds like whoever had it last set the start voltage too high. Can you do a factory default reset on the decoder?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

It does sound strange with two different decoders.
I would do factory resets on both decoders and try again.
That is the first thing I have done when a decoder seems to be wonky. JMRI will keep your settings.
When you say it runs on DC ok, is with the decoder or DC adapter?

Rich

billoberst

rich1998

did you do a reset of the decoder?

You did say it runs ok on DC.

Rich

jward

It kind of sounds like the pcb you plug the decoder into has a problem. You might have to hard wire the decoder to solve the problem.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA