Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N scale USRA heavy 4-8-2

Started by brokemoto, December 27, 2007, 07:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokemoto

I received mine to-day.

It is undergoing break-in.

I am running it on DC, from a Kato powerpack, thus, there is no pulse.

Some have complained about the 'smart' decoders refusing to function or not functioning well.  This one is working well; no problems.

It runs well and smoothly at speeds between thirty and sixty SMPH.  At speeds between twenty-five and fifteen SMPH, it is a bit stiff, but not bad, considering that it is nowhere near properly broken in.  I expect that once it is properly broken in, it will run well at slower speeds, as the slower speed control and operation has improved over the little running time that it has.

The pulling power seems to be within tolerances.  I did a preliminary pulling power test, after a few break--in laps in both directions.  It pulled a mixed consist of six cars, on four or six axle MT trucks, as appropriate to the car.  There were RR and Lima HWs, RR LWs and  one C-C corrugated side.  It pulled the train up a one per cent grade at thirty five SMPH and showed no sign of slipping.  I did not try more cars, at this point.  The locomotive seems to be substantial, so I expect that its pulling power will be good.

The coupler is at the proper height.

My one concern is the delicate wires from the tender to the locomotive.  I had a bad experience with another N scale steam locomotive, from a different manufacturer,  that appeared recently.  It also had six delicate wires between tender and locomotive and in an external clip.  Under careful handling, one of the wires came off.  That, combined with other problems in this locomotive-that-shall-not-be-identified, has caused me to relegate that unnamed locomotive to JUNQUE status.

Still, so far, I am happy.  The SPECTRUM USRA heavy 4-8-2 has made a good first impression.  I will comment further, as it runs in more.  So far, Mr. Bachpersonn, it looks like you have a winner.

Williamson

All signals so far indicate the loco is an excellent performer!  8)

Only thing keeping me from buying it is the incorrect tender for N&W. :-\

If I'm going to shell out that kind of coin it could at least have a correct tender ...

brokemoto

Further tests indicate that this one is a winner.  It will pull eighteen loaded MT gondolas and a MT wood caboose up a one per cent grade at twenty SMPH.  Figures for others:  B-mann SPECTRUM 2-8-0, twenty five and caboose (most tried); Kato
2-8-2 (with traction tyre retrofit)  twenty and caboose (slip at twenty-one);  MP 2-6-0 (with Kato or B-personn SPECTRUM USRA Standard tender swapped in tor stock MP) fiteen and caboose (most tried);  LL 2-8-8-2, fifteen and caboose, slipping but went up the grade; LL 2-8-4 six and caboose, seven sends it into full slip.

By comparison, diseasels:  LL metal frame FAs or E-R shark, twenty and caboose; Atlas GP-7/GP-9/RS-3 (China) or Kato
RS-2, eight and caboose; Atlas/Kato SD-7, eleven and caboose; LL plastic frame FA-2/BL-2/FP-whatever, every piece of rolling stock that you own up a fifty per cent grade at twenty five SMPH.

Comparitively, the pulling power is allright.

This is a completely redesigned SPECTRUM steam locomotive.  I do not have the SPECTRUM J, so I do not know if the J  is like this one or the older SPECTRUM steam offerings.  This one has a metal boiler; there is considerable substance to it.  The old design of plastic shell on spilt metal frame worked well for the
2-8-0 and would have been allright for the light 4-8-2 had the tyred driver made proper contact with the rails, but it has appeared less than successful on the 2-6-6-2.

My concerns are the pilot coupler's being too low and the apparent delicacy of the blue wires.  I can remedy the former, others have assured me on the latter that it is not as delicate as it appears.  The blue wires from locomotive to tender do detract somewhat from the appearance, nut, again, that is not a big deal.  Overall, the complaints are minor.  On the whole, this one is pretty good.  I would tell people to buy it. 

If you can find the tender from the LL Y-3, you could fudge it and make it a K-2a.  That tender is not quite correct for a K-2a, but it is certainly better than the USRA long.  The B-mann auxilliary water tank does have live trucks, so there is also the possibility of bashing it into a more correct N&W tender for this.

Perhaps B-mann will make a few keystrokes to the J blueprint and issue a shrouded K.  If WKW addresses the problems with its 0-8-0, you could run an all steam N&W.  No M-classes, but you could get road fieight, passenger and switchers.  The Y-3 would not pull too well, though.  The old RR Y-6 was a pretty good puller.  It was an inconsistent runner and had a nasty habit of siezing and breaking its frame after considerable use, though.

Anyhow, this one is a winner.  The flaws are minor and the praises are there.

Williamson

Quote from: brokemoto on January 05, 2008, 12:18:30 PM

This is a completely redesigned SPECTRUM steam locomotive.  I do not have the SPECTRUM J, so I do not know if the J  is like this one or the older SPECTRUM steam offerings.  This one has a metal boiler; there is considerable substance to it.

I have two of the new Bachmann J's - they were the first to have the die-cast boiler. They are superb models of N&W's 4-8-4.

Williamson

Quote from: brokemoto on January 05, 2008, 12:18:30 PM
  If WKW addresses the problems with its 0-8-0, you could run an all steam N&W.  No M-classes, but you could get road fieight, passenger and switchers.  The Y-3 would not pull too well, though.  The old RR Y-6 was a pretty good puller.  It was an inconsistent runner and had a nasty habit of siezing and breaking its frame after considerable use, though.

Heh, I own the following on my N&W steam roster:

RR 2-8-8-2 Y6b
LL 2-8-8-2 Y3
Bmann 2-6-6-2 (being kitbashed into N&W Z1b)
Bmann 4-8-4 J (2)

I also have LL 0-8-0 on order to be kitbashed into an N&W S-1 0-8-0.

My Y3 will pull about 30 MT boxcars up a 2% grade, so it is adequate.

The 2-6-6-2 would pull 25 MT boxcars before I took it apart, but I can't remember if it was on grade or level.

xteach64

what is the minimum radius that this engine will run on?
Thanks,
Ike

brokemoto

One gentleman who works at a hobby store says that he has tested several on nine and three quarter curves and that they run on them acceptably.  I suspect that they look like the dickens doing so, but they do operate; I tend to trust what this guy reports about an N scale steam locomotive.

I have operated mine on nineteen, seventeen and fifteen inch radius curves and have had good results.