GG1 Pa railroad electric engine- N gauge

Started by rnap6152, November 26, 2020, 05:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rnap6152

I have a problem with my GG1 engine operating on the track, using the standard 16 piece  trestle set for ez track system
When the engine reaches the highest point of the trestle and as it begins to level off, it immediately uncouples from the cars
for some reason, it continues to uncouple from the rest of the cars
how can I eliminate this problem
thank you

rich1998

I would suggest getting an N scale coupler gauge and checking all the couplers. I know Walther's sells them.
Also ask in the N scale forum in case those users do not look at this forum.

Rich

Len

It sounds like the vertical transition between the grade and upper level is too abrupt. Looking at this diagram:

With body mount couplers, as the locomotive transitions to the top level the end towards the grade will rotate upwards. Literally lifting the coupler out of engagement with the following cars coupler. If you run the edge of a business card along the 'track' in the diagram you'll get an exaggerated picture of what's happening.

The 'solutions' boil down to:

1. Reduce the amount of vertical transition by reducing the angle of the grade.

2. Using shorter locos and cars, reducing the amount of 'lift' created by the existing vertical transition.

3. Using 'shelf' type couplers, which eliminate coupler bypass. The downside, with long locos like the GG-1, is instead of coupler bypass, the connecting car might actually be lifted off the track, causing a dereailment.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

I agree with what Len says. I have had that same thing happen. I had to start the grade sooner to lengthen it so there wouldn't be the abrupt transition from grade to flat. In my case, I was using the Woodland Scenics risers, not the trestle set but the problem and the result was the same.
Feel like a Mogul.

rich1998

James in FL

You need more vertical easement.
This works for both the top and bottom with or without a turnout at either end.
Easement should be four car lengths, top and bottom for four percent.
Three lengths for three percent. etc. etc.

Good luck