News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

n scale ez track turnouts

Started by 199166, December 09, 2020, 05:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helo
I have two Bachmann trains and would like to be able to use my turn outs to isolate one train at a time. That way I could use one train and park the other. My layout is a very simple oval with the turnouts off the oval to a train depot. Currently, even though I turn one train off the unused track, when I put the other train on, both trains get power. I am new to this so please forgive my lack of knowledge.
Thank You

James in FL

DC or DCC?
Can you post a photo of your layout? Also showing where the power is going into the layout?
You will need to use a third party photo hosting site.
Bachmann N Scale EZ Track turnouts used to be power routing, not sure they still are.
Can you check continuity with your meter?

Hunt

Quote from: James in FL on December 10, 2020, 06:47:33 PM
. . .

Bachmann N Scale EZ Track turnouts used to be power routing, not sure they still are.

. . .

Depends on when the Bachmann N-gauge turnout produced.

Since early 2012 Bachmann N-gauge turnouts are all routes-live type. Prior to that time, all Bachmann N-gauge turnouts are power-routing type.

jward

What you will need to do is use insulating rail joiners to isolate sections of your track, called blocks. I am assuming you have a simple oval, with two switches that allow trains to take either the main track or the siding. If this is the case, you'll need to insulate one rail (make sure it's the same one everywhere) at each end of the siding next to the switches, and do the same on the main line. You can use electrical switches to turn power off to these blocks. When all is said and done there should be three blocks. Siding, mainline parallel to the siding, and the rest of the mainline. The simplest way to wire this is to use the ungapped rail as a common return to your controller. Route the power side to the circuit to an Atlas Selector, which is a bank of four electrical slide switches specifically designed for this application. The power wire should connect to the left side of the selector, each of the wires to your individual blocks should connect to a different terminal on top of the selector, then to the gapped rail of one of the blocks. when it's all done you should be able to pull a train into the siding then turn off power to that track, run the other train and when you are done with it pull it up the main parallel to the siding, kill power to it, then resume running the original train all by flipping the slide switches on the selector. If this seems clear as mud, there are wiring diagrams included with the selector that illustrate exactly how to do this.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jward

The Atlas selector wiring diagram appears on this site: https://wiring88.blogspot.com/2017/12/atla-ho-track-wiring.html

You'll need to scroll down a bit to find it.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA