News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newbe Questions

Started by johnd, December 28, 2007, 03:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnd

Got a Empire Builder for Christmas. Looks like it could be lots of fun. Went a bought a couple of EZ track remote turnouts and more EZ track so I could do more than go around in a circle.

Here is the problem - the front wheels on the engine jump the track at the turnouts - not everytime. If you run just the engine and the tender it does ok but as you add cars - the more you add the sooner it jumps the track. I have made sure that the track rails are level. Is there some little trick that the "old pros" know!!!!!

When I build a layout - do I fasten the EZ track to the table and if I do - HOW???

Thank you.

PRRThomas11

johnd-
     I'm not very good with switches but I can help you with the track. Yes- you should fasten the track. The easiest way is use track nails. You can get them anywhere that sells Lifelike brand track. If not there you can find it at any hardware store. They are called "brads" though. You probably already know this but you nail the brads through the little holes in the ties of the track. You can also use glue. Use some sort of Elmer's or wood glue. I have even heard you can use caulk. I wouldn't try it though.

Good luck-
PRRThomas11

P.S. Post pictures of the layout when its done.  ;)
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

GlennW

About your derailments: Get a NMRA gague, check the track, check the wheels. Your LHS should have one to sell you.

The turnouts may need some filing to make everything smooth. Chack with your finger for any little nubs.

The loco & car wheels may be a bit narrow. Be sure to push the wheels evenly so they stay square on the axle.

johnd

Thank you. Appreciate the help.

PRRThomas - the track is the Bachman EZ Track - no where to nail them. Saw in the General Discussion forum where some glue them down. I am probably going to use foam (1") between the track and the table top so I guess that's the only way to do it.

PRRThomas11

You're welcome. I never realized you couldn't nail easy track down. It has a hole in the track, but not the gray roadbed thing. Weird. :-\

Guilford Guy

You can use caulk but its probably easier to use hot glue.
Alex

Jake

Quote from: PRRThomas11 on December 30, 2007, 10:19:42 PM
You're welcome. I never realized you couldn't nail easy track down. It has a hole in the track, but not the gray roadbed thing. Weird. :-\

Actually, the plastic piece in the hole is very thin and easily pierced with a nail or needle. Why hasn't anyone noticed that? ???
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

Guilford Guy

even then you will need long track nails and some supportive material which will fit underneath the EZ track that the nails will go into. Probably easiest to hot glue down...
Alex

johnd

Quote from: Jake on December 31, 2007, 12:04:15 AM
Quote from: PRRThomas11 on December 30, 2007, 10:19:42 PM

Actually, the plastic piece in the hole is very thin and easily pierced with a nail or needle. Why hasn't anyone noticed that? ???

Because I am getting old - looked with a mag glass -SOG they are there!!! :o

kevin2083

wouldn't hot glue melt the foam?
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

PRRThomas11

Quote from: kevin2083 on December 31, 2007, 11:05:33 AM
wouldn't hot glue melt the foam?

I don't know the difference between low and high temperature glue guns but I use a low-temp glue gun to assemble all the foam on my entire layout so, no, hot glue will not melt the foam.

By the way I never thought to use hot glue and that works really well. Johnd, you should use a hot glue gun. ;)