Track requirements for DCC

Started by azjettek, January 15, 2021, 06:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azjettek

Hello,
I am new to this site so bear with me on my lack of current technology and ignorance of model railroading today. I received a couple of train sets for gifts on Christmas as I had voiced my desire to get back into model railroading with my family. I had a pretty extensive N scale layout as a child and a very basic HO scale. I have been looking into going DCC since receiving these gifts. My question is this. Can you (I) use standard steel alloy track with DCC or does it have to be Nickel Silver? These leads to question 2 if I am able to use Steel alloy. What is the performance difference with DCC between the 2 types of track?

Thank you very much for this forum and I look forward to the feedback I am to receive.

Regards,

azjettek

Len

Both track types will work with DCC. The main difference is steel track requires cleaning much more often than nickle silver.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

Two other drawbacks with Steel track. It can rust if your layout is in a damp or high humidity area, Many basements here in Pennsylvania have these conditions. And it's almost impossible to solder to.

If you do decide on Nickle silver track, you can still use the steel track for sidings and yard tracks where your locomotives aren't likely to venture, and thus the difference won't be a problem.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

azjettek

Thanks for the replies. I certainly will not have a big rust problem as I am in Arizona. Cleaning more often will not be an issue either, I am kind of a clean freak! So no performance differences between the 2 though, that is good to hear.

Thanks again!

Terry Toenges

If you do plan on expanding, the steel track has a very limited selection of pieces. There are many more to choose from with nickel silver.
Feel like a Mogul.

azjettek

I have definitely seen that the nickel silver has MANY more options than the steel. I have seen that it is also possible to use other track manufacturers pieces with the EZ track, as long as you put it on a road bed to bring it to the same height. Any suggestions or input on this matter?

Terry Toenges

You have it right. As long as you can get the rails to the same height, you'll be ok. With E-Z Track, you just have break off the plastic connecting tabs so they don't get in the way. If you have a small saw, that's a better way to do it. Breaking them off sometimes takes a bit of the roadbed with it when you do.
Feel like a Mogul.