Change from DC to DCCwith a new locomotive

Started by mlp, January 27, 2021, 07:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlp

I have BACHMANN Overland Limited Union Pacific RTR Ho Scale Train Set with a single loop.  I am looking at a Bachmann 52404 HO Nickel Plate 2-8-4 Berkshire Steam Loco & Tender w/Sound & DCC to replace the Overland Union Pacific 806 locomotive.
I want to power and control their locomotive's speed, direction, and lights and the whistle.
What controller do I need?  Do I need anything else?
Thank you!

BobZ

Bachmann has 2 control systems. The E-Z Command ® Digital Command Control System (44932) or the E-Z Command ® Dynamis ® Handset (36507). Bachmann website has more info on both.

Hunt

BobZ --- The E-Z Command ® Dynamis ® Handset (36507) is a component of the E-Z Command Dynamis Wireless Infrared Digital Command Control System. The Handset is useless without the other system required components.

E-Z Command Dynamis Wireless Infrared Digital Command Control System was replaced years ago by Dynamis Ultima DCC system, which Bachmann Trains in the USA does not sale. It is available from Bachmann Europe Plc

Hunt

I see there is a "bug" in the Speech to Text software. Placed sale instead of sell.   ;D

Quote from: Hunt on January 28, 2021, 11:43:09 PM
BobZ --- The E-Z Command ® Dynamis ® Handset (36507) is a component of the E-Z Command Dynamis Wireless Infrared Digital Command Control System. The Handset is useless without the other system required components.

E-Z Command Dynamis Wireless Infrared Digital Command Control System was replaced years ago by Dynamis Ultima DCC system, which Bachmann Trains in the USA does not sale sell. It is available from Bachmann Europe Plc

BobZ

Hunt,
Had the wrong item number. Should have been 36505 that comes with the 36507.

mlp

So I need the 44932?  I see BACHMANN E-Z COMMAND DCC CONTROL CENTER, #44901 on ebay what is the difference, will it work?

BobZ

I believe the 44932 replaced the 44901. The 44901 would probably work but I don't know that. I assume you don't want wireless.

Hunt

Quote from: mlp on January 27, 2021, 07:13:10 PM
. . .
I want to power and control their locomotive's speed, direction, and lights and the whistle.
. . .

A Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center Item 44932 or the old 44901 will do what you state what you want to do. It is a good choice to have something to use while you learn about DCC.

However, you will sooner or later want to or be required to do things the E-Z Command Control Center cannot do. Then you will have to buy a more capable DCC system or live with what you have.

In addition to other limitations, you cannot do most  things that requires programming a CV (Configuration Variable). Example you cannot,
Reset the decoder's CVs to their factory default value
Select a different whistle sound or effect
Select a different lighting effect
Tune the motor performance
Many, many more 

Hunt

Note: The Bachmann item# 52404,  HO Nickel Plate 2-8-4 Berkshire Steam Loco & Tender w/Sound & DCC CVs are factory set with using an E-Z Command Control Center in mind.