OK to Install Turnouts within Reversing Loop?

Started by Gary Allen, January 30, 2021, 05:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Allen

I've decided to include a reversing loop in my next layout (EZ track, DCC).  Basically a figure 8 / oval using 4 turnouts and a 60 deg crossing.  The oval, laid out with 4 symmetrical turnouts, will be on fixed power while the inside crossing X track (connected to diverging end of the 4 turnouts) will be powered via the Bachmann reverse loop module.  That's the easy part, I think.  I am extremely limited in space as it must reside on our dining room table.  Actually, there will be 2 more outer loops so I can run 3 trains simultaneously.  All 3 concentric loops will be connected via 4 crossovers.  I would like to add a couple spurs inside one loop of the figure 8 (which is part of the reverse loop) to park 2 of the trains.

Question: Is it permissible to install turnouts as part of the reverse loop?  These 2 turnouts will be entirely within the reverse loop, the diverging tracks will be dead-ended. My only concern is that the immediate phase reversal of the power, as the train enters or exits the reverse loop, might confuse the turnout.

Please advise if you have attempted this.

rich1998

Possibly a photo of what you would like could help.

Rich

Gary Allen

Hopefully, you can kinda see the layout from this.

jward

There is nothing wrong with the configuration as you have drawn it. ELectrically, i'd be more concerned about having trains longer than the reversing sections than with having a couple spurs within the section itself. As long as you keep trains short enough to fit in those spurs you should have no problems.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Gary Allen

Thanks Jeff.  I did measure my trains and they should fit.  Wish I had a basement to spread it all out but I don't.