First n-scale EZ track build problem

Started by bluwtr, February 01, 2021, 09:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluwtr

Hi all.  My 12 y.o. son asked for a set for Christmas.  We got him an EZ track set and we've gone full tilt (yeah!) with it.  We've used SCARM to design our layout which is pretty simple with a meandering design with two small bridges.  I've ordered and received all of the extra track we needed.  Today I placed all of the track according to the layout.  Our issue is that the locomotive will run for a portion of the track and then stop.  From what I can determine is that some of the track sections are not making contact because in a couple of instances I could lift/twist/press tighter some sections and the engine would begin moving again.  At the moment the track is sitting on a layer of extruded polystyrene which is on the benchwork.  We've not begun to add any grade or scenery.  We just wanted to see how it looked.

Please help and tell me what I've done/am doing wrong.  The set we got him is the "Yard Boss".  The total linear footage is approximately 26'.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Wes

bluwtr

Please anyone.  Do I need to solder the joints???

Terry Toenges

Have you taken a close look at the rail joiners in the areas where you are having the problem. Sometimes they can get bent out of shape and become too loose. Usually with a pair of pliers you can crimp the joiners a little so you get a better connection. Sometimes a little conductive lube helps around the joiner area. A small drop where the rails meet will flow down  into the joiner area. Bachmann sells conductive lube. You can solder the joints if you want a permanent connection.
Feel like a Mogul.

bluwtr

I looked at the unions and they seem tight "enough", but I honestly don't know how tight the fit should be.  I will check them again and see if I find a "loose" one.  If that doesn't solve it I will look to the conductive lube.  Is that basically dielectric grease?

If this doesn't solve it, should I look to soldering them?

Also, do DC controllers have a length limit?