News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What is Electronic Auto Reversing Track?

Started by Gary Allen, February 02, 2021, 03:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Allen

Ok, now I'm really confused.  I am planning to create a new layout with a reversing loop (DCC, HO) using Bachmann DCC Automatic Reverse Loop Module #44912.  Now I see on the Bachmann website there is auto reversing track (curved = 44549).  I thought I just had to remove the electrical connectors at each end of the loop.  What does the auto reversing track do?

BobZ

You will need the Auto-Reverse Loop Module #44912 and a gapped Power Track (Straight 44548 or Curved 44549). You can make the other end of the loop by cutting a gap through both rails of any piece of track you choose. Just follow the directions that come with the Reverse Loop Module. The loop can be as short or long as you want as long as it will accommodate you longest train between the gapped rails.

Gary Allen

Are you sure about that?  After looking some more, it appears that the term "reversing track" can mean one of two things:

1. A piece of track dead-ended at each end on which the train travels back and forth, stopping and waiting at each end for a certain length of time.  Not sure if this is compatible with DCC.

2. An electrically isolated section of track arranged such that the train will end up traveling in the opposite direction after passing through this "loop" of track. This is compatible with DCC.

I intend to implement case #2.  I now believe this subject "auto reversing track" is required only for case #1.

Please correct me if I am wrong. 

Terry Toenges

The auto-reversing track is what they use for the auto-reversing trolleys that go back and forth so you can lengthen the trolley's run. You don't need it for what you doing. The track has extra electrical connections underneath as a means of getting the reversing electronics from one end to the other end.
Feel like a Mogul.

Hunt

Gapped Power Track (Straight 44548 or Curved 44549) not required but can make this easier as it is difficult to remove rail joiner from Bachmann track without damaging the track. Most gap the rail of a regular section of track rather than trying to replace rail joiner with insulated ones.

jward

In your case, the gapped track won't work for you. It is a straight section of track, and your loops are curves. You could probably work one in but you'd shorten your reversing section drastically by doing so. Your reversing sections, and thus the length of train you can run, are already something like 3 feet, or a locomotive, 4 or 5 cars and a caboose.

As Hunt has mentioned, getting the rail joiners off EZ track can be difficult. It might be easier to just cut the gaps yourself with a razor saw or Dremel with cutting wheel.

The reversing track is, as you guessed, designed for automatic back and forth running on a given section of track. It is not applicable to reversing loops.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Gary Allen

It looks to me like gapped straight track #44597 would be a better fit for my layout.  Unfortunately, I would need a curved track and it appears that only the straight track is available.

jward

That's why I suggested cutting your own gaps.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Gary Allen

You are 100% correct.  I will see if I can borrow a Dremel tool.  Thank you

Terry Toenges

Here's another thought since you are using E-Z Track - Two pieces of 1/2 18" radius curve or three pieces of 1/3 18" radius curve. Remove/cut the rail joiners between two of the pieces and add a thin piece of something between the two you connect.
Feel like a Mogul.