Ho Southern Pacific Daylight GS4 4-8-4 quartering

Started by Mfcassidy, February 15, 2021, 04:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfcassidy

Hi,
I recently purchased a "new" model 4454, (circa 1976; sill in box). It derailed and I, unwisely, allowed the drive wheel assembly to come free. I took it to a local repair store and was told, with a shake of the head, no way. Then I purchased another new locomotive  4446 (circa 1985) model. It ran a few feet and derailed. When I picked it up the wheels fell off. The plastic connectors between the wheels looked good so I began to reassemble, but was unable to get it properly quartered. I just received an NWSL quarterer (#44-4), but it doesn't fit, and I suspect that I should have purchased a #64-4.
I am new to this hobby and would love to resolve these problems.
Any advice or help would be appreciated. I am not certain if Bachman's warranty covers such things, if I should purchase another quarterer, send them both back for repair...

Thank you!

Michael C.

rich1998

You might call the Bachmann repaid service tomorrow.
Below is a link I found.

https://www.emgs.org/wp-content/uploads/MANUAL_2_5_3_1_pages_all.pdf

There are more if you search for quartering model train locomotives.
I did it years ago bot with different HO trains with the quarterer that fit.
Shapeways.com makes axles for older 4-8-4 Bachmann that have plastic axles that can break.

Good luck

Rich

Mfcassidy

Rich,
Many thanks. I suspect that the plastic connectors on the axels on one of the trains rotted, but the other ones seem good. Will follow-up with Backman service tomorrow.
Michael