News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Engines

Started by Riders HS, March 30, 2021, 05:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riders HS

Out of curiosity, when did Bachmann Engines, become Non-NMRA compliant. We sent in a 4-6-0 steam engine to be repaired. Out of the box, it did not run at all. Drivers were locked up. Could feel the motor humming.

We received a notification, that the engines was fixed, found nothing wrong. Was asked, what were we using for power or DCC system. We use an MRC9950, and a Digitrax DB150 for our DCC system here in the store.

We were told that Bachmann does not guarantee, that their engines will perform on DC or DCC from another manufacturer. Only guarantee it will run with one of thei own systems.

In the past, this has never been an issue, with any Bachmann DCC or DCC/Sound engine, that we have had herein the store.

Has something changed?

Please advise, and Thank You

James in FL

Litigious liability?
Dunno.
DCC still not for me.

the Bach-man

Dear Riders,
Our locos will run with any NMRA Compliant DCC system.
Not all systems are.
Digitrax often has work-arounds.
Best,
the Bach-man

rich1998

I have run Bachmann DCC for some years. No problem.

Rich

plas man

no problem with my Hornby Elite with Select walk around (DCC) on Bachmann (the Hornby system has bad reports - I find its not too good/happy with MRC decoders)

jward

I bought my first DCC On Board engine, and my first Digitrax DCS50 on the same day in 2004. They play well together. The only issues I've ever had with Bachmann decoders is that I must jumper a 1000 ohm resistor across the rails of the programming track to get the DCS 50 to read and write to the decoder. This problem is not unique to Bachmann. I've encountered the same issue with other makes that use a Lenz type decoder. I wish all problems were as easily solved as this one was. Wouldn't life be great?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Riders HS

The repair guy that called me, was adamant, that Bachmann Trains, only run with Bachmann DCC or Bachmann DC power units. Was also told, that if we ran the engine on anything other then Bachmann systems, that the warranty would be voided....

Len

Quote from: Riders HS on April 03, 2021, 01:59:29 PM
The repair guy that called me, was adamant, that Bachmann Trains, only run with Bachmann DCC or Bachmann DC power units. Was also told, that if we ran the engine on anything other then Bachmann systems, that the warranty would be voided....

Not true. The warranty document doesn't say any such thing. If you don't have the one that came with your loco, you can read it here:
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service.php

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

Quote from: Riders HS on April 03, 2021, 01:59:29 PM

It sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about. To be honest, if he can't give you a straight answer about what the locomotives are compatible with, can you trust him to fix any problems with your loco? Model railroading has always been an industry where manufacturers and the NMRA agree on standards that all follow. This interoperability of equipment from various manufacturers has helped the hobby immensely. I for one, have locomotives and cars from over a dozen different brands that are mixed and matched as the traffic on my railroad dictates. I am not alone. Any brand that tries to use proprietary technology to interfere with this interoperability (MTH for example) will find they sell only a fraction of what they would if they toed the line. Look at what a rousing success Betamax was for Sony to understand the folly of that approach.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA