News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachman Loco DCC Problem

Started by Jreinh, December 31, 2007, 09:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jreinh

My Husband & I just this week got our DCC set up with 2 differant Loco's. One is the NW611 HO, and the other is a Deisel NW 6508 both are Bachman's. With a EZ-command controller.
It was our understanding the DCC meant that sound is on board the trains?
#1. Is that correct? If not how do you get sound? What do we have to do?
#2 . We are very concerned about the 611 as it cost a fortune, when he took it out of the box, and put it on the track, the Loco came apart from the Tender. is that OK, or does the tender have to be connected to the Loco in a permanent way?
Finally, is there a book out there that will help us understand this system and how it is supposed to work?
Thanks, we have been running Anilog Trains for years, and this is just so differant.

SteamGene

Unless the box says that they come with sound, they do not.   You can check the product list and see what the item number is for sound equipted. 
There should be a draw bar connecting the locomotive to the tender and a post underneath the one without the draw bar to connect them.  The two sets of plugs need to be plugged into the appropriate sockets firmly.  Take care in removing them if you have to.  I use a small flat bladded screw driver to pry mine up enough to remove it.
Merry Seventh Day of Christmas.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

the Bach-man

Dear J,
If the loco was in a window box, it should have sound. It would be clearly marked on the box.
Happy New Year!
the Bach-man

jerryl

Welcome to DCC. Yes it is different, but not that difficult.  Some engines are DC only, meaning that you will have to do some work to install DCC. Some are DCCready, which means that the motor has been isolated from the frame & may have a DCC plug. DCC on board or equiped means it has a DCC decoder that controls the trains movement & lights.  DCC with sound means just that.
   The engine should be connected to the tender just as in DC operation.  It probably really isn't necessary for operation since all electrical connections are thru wires & not the drawbar...but yes, do reconnect the engine & tender.
   If you are just starting out with DCC It probably isn't a good idea for you to attempt to install a sound decoder & speaker just yet. Get your feet wet first,do a lot of reading & operate the trains for awhile. If I remember right Loy's Toys had a lot of literature coucerning DCC. Also Tony's Probably has some plus they are very helpful if you call them with questions.  Good Luck.  Jerry L

Steve Magee

May I refer you to Marus Annan's "DCC For Dummies"? This site also has a lot of useful information for those new to DCC:

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn2/DCC.htm#Contents

Regards

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

momo

press the function button and then press the number keys  ::)

trains01

Here is the diesel dilemma.  The chassis of a DCC engine has no provision for sound add-in.  The DCC card is proprietary and the chassis take up every mm of space.  I had my sound added to a GP40 by a hobby store owner and the sound works fine it was somewhat deadened by the complete enclosure.  What Bachmann should do is create a speaker spot.  Example:eliminate the metal weight used in the fuel box on the bottom of the train an allow that space for a speaker.  The fuel box could have had a couple sound holes in it for easy sound escape.  If the area is big enough maybe the sound decoder could fit there also.  The proprietary DCC card needs generic coupling jacks so that any DCC Bachmann engine is a potential sound engine.  Right now if you want a particular engine with sound it is wait and see.   Bottom line - your hobby store owner can probably help you get sound on the engines you want.