News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Easy couplers

Started by patk, December 31, 2007, 04:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patk

I am having trouble getting and keeping my train cars connected.  Can anyone explain how the easy couplers on the train cars work?  Thanks.

SteamGene

Do not try to couple cars that are on a curve.  You need straight track for that.  When they are coupled together, get down so they are at eye level.  Are the couplers the same height?  If they are not, and especially if they are more than than 1/4 coupler height apart, you will need to adjust the height so they are equal. 
I hope this helps.
Merry Seventh Day of Christmas
Happy New Year
Gene 
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

RAM

Make sure you track does not have dips and pikes.
Bad track work mean poor performance.

ebtbob

Good Morning All and Happy New Year,

Part of the uncoupling problem may be due to which type of EZ coupler is part of the set.  Do your couplers have a small plastic "cat's whiskers" that are used to keep the knuckles shut instead of a coiled brass spring?   If so,  you equipment has EZ Mate I couplers and you need to trash them,  like yesterday!!   Replace them with EZ Mate II or McHenry couplers that have the coiled spring.  BTW....the Kadee 148 is not necesarily the answer.  I have been retrofitting some of my Bachmann On30 cars with the KD 148 and have found that I cannot tighten down on the screw enough to keep the coupler box cover snug without binding the coupler and not giving it free swing.  Only having tried the 148 on the On30 cars,  I do not know how it will work on other Bachmann cars.  If your set is from Walthers,  Atlas,  or Athearn,  the KD 148 should work with no alterations.
       The reason the "cat whisker" type EZ Mate couplers do not work well is simple.   That little plastic part holding the knuckle closed is easily misshaped by having the cars bunched together.   This causes the knuckles on the couplers to be in the open position and the whisker then is curled outward and will not move back enough to hold the knuckle shut.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Atlantic Central

ebtbob,

Since none of the generic couplers are as good as Kadee, I convert EVERYTHING and do not use any of the various plastic ones.

To get the Kadee #148 to boxes that are too shallow, simply flie the shank of the #148 down so it is thinner. I carefuly slinde the coupler shank over the serface of a 10' mill file. several times on each side thins the shank enough in most cases.

I was actually doing this to #5 couplers before the #148 came on the market. But without the brass spring plate, less filing is required.

Sheldon