News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Voltage requirement for bulb

Started by trains4fun, March 26, 2023, 02:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trains4fun

Hi all! I'm a long-time lurker, but this is my first post! I'm currently trying to revive a vintage early 80's U36B diesel locomotive that I recently obtained with other cars, track, accessories, etc, for a very cheap price. I've already cleaned and greased the running gear, added a new silicone drive tire, (this U36B uses only one tire!) and lubed the motor. It's now running reasonably well, but the "grain-of-wheat" bulbs are both burnt out. Does anyone know what voltage bulb I need for this? I haven't yet decided if I'm going to go with incandescent or LED lights. I've attached a cropped version of the parts diagram that was included with the engine. Your help is most appreciated. Thanks!

Unfortunately, I'm not able to upload the picture as it says "the upload directory is full, please contact an administrator". Bummer!

Len

Most GoW bulbs in older locos were 12V. If you replace with LED's you'll need to add a current limiting resistor.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

trains4fun

Quote from: Len on March 26, 2023, 03:38:36 PMMost GoW bulbs in older locos were 12V. If you replace with LED's you'll need to add a current limiting resistor.

Len

Hi Len,

Thanks for that information. I had a feeling it would be a 12v bulb, but wanted to be sure. If I do go LED, I'll be sure to use the resistor. Thanks again!