Turntable versus Transfer table

Started by Ralph S, May 05, 2023, 06:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph S

In another discussion (old), I found that there are two types of transfer tables.  The one that I am familiar with and have purchased is the Bachmann DCC round table (46298).  Then the discussion went to a transfer table.  After searching god old "google" I found a transfer table.

I kinda like this transfer table....couldn't find similar Bachmann version.  Don't think Bachmann makes'em.   Below are the images of the transfer table and the turntable.   Question: Is there such a thing (apparatus) in real life of this transfer table or is the transfer table only in HO modeling ?  I haven't been successful in finding actual images of a real transfer table, like what is depicted in the image below.
If this transfer table is actual, what's its main purpose, since the roundtable is for basically turning the locomotive back to a forward pointing position.

What I really like is it looks to take up less space than the roundtable.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

trainman203

Most often used behind large shops to save space otherwise taking up by many multiple switches to service all the shop tracks.

Ralph S

I am definitely going to have to a better job at doing google searches.  Didn't even dawn on me to do an image search. 

Thanks

Embarrassing

Ken Clark

Got to ride the transfer table at the Queensland Railway shops in Ipswich AU in 2013

Bipeflier

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Chicago Burlington & Quincy rail facilities in Hannibal.
Here I overlaid the 1913 map over a present day picture of Hannibal. There is nothing left but woods where the trains were.
Were there others that had both a transfer table and a turn table?
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

These people are standing on Lover's Leap in Hannibal. I've been up there quite a few times on trips to Hannibal. I never realized that the ground that I was looking down upon was once a massive railroad facility.
Feel like a Mogul.

trainman203

Bluff Street still follows an old right of way.  And I would bet that if you go in those woods and dig a little bit, you would find an unbelievable trove of railroad archaeology. If the Roundhouse floor and pits were poured place concrete, there's a good chance it's all still there.

Any idea when all of this was removed? Probably the end of steam, which on the Burlington was a little later than other roads, I believe they still ran steam up until around 1956 or 57. 

You know that a couple of steam engines ran on their C&S subsidiary until 1962?  Everyone thinks the Norfolk and western was the last Class 1 steam railroad but it wasn't. There was the Colorado & Southern Leadville branch, and the D&RGW Narrow gauge lines ran in regular revenue service until 1968. They were servicing an oil field around Farmington New Mexico that had a known projected play out date, and the Rio grande didn't deem it worth the expense to dieselize and standard gauge an operation known to be a short timer.

Terry Toenges

I've searched and searched for any more info on the rail stuff and can't find anything other than the pics similar to the one posted. Almost no info about the actual railroad stuff. I looked at various at Burlington/CB&Q and Hannibal sites.
I emailed the City of Hannibal from their web page and asked when the roundhouse was removed. Probably some yuppie running that site who doesn't have a clue what a roundhouse is. He's thinking, "We never had any geodesic domes." :)
Feel like a Mogul.

trainman203

Rail road history has always been undervalued and is pretty much ignored by everyone today, except the various historical societies for each particular road.  The CB&Q historical society, will be able to tell you more than anyone else.

The railroads themselves brought on this historical void by decades of abuse of both their employees and the public.