News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dept. 56 City Trolley

Started by Karissa, September 18, 2023, 06:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karissa

I recently got a Dept. 56 City Trolley, it currently runs by bumping back and forth.  However I would like it to run in a large oval around my christmas village, to do that I am needing to purchase track & I'm wanting to make sure I buy the correct one.  My tracks are silver on a brown pebble-like base & measure 1.125" between the tracks, what would be my correct one?  Also, my oval would be about 14' long on both the front & back straightaways and how ever large the corners need to be to make that happen, is one power source enough? I will probably run 2 trolleys on it.

the Bach-man

Dear Karissa,
An oval of 18" EZ Track will be just what you need!
Fourteen feet is relatively long; you may need to run some power feeders from a single power pack.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Karissa

Is EZ Track HO gauge? If so, I know that is not what I want becasue I already have that for a different christmas train I was running & this new trolley is to big for that track. What I'm really struggling with is what gauge of track is needed.  Thanks

Len

The only 'bump & reverse' Dept. 56 ever released under their own name ran on HO track. The trolley itself was sort of between HO and On30 scale. Other 'bump & reverse' trolleys were O27 (1/50) size, made "for use with Dept. 56" and ran on 3-rail Lionel style track. Bachmann also did an On30 trolley for Dept. 56 that operates on HO track and used their electronic reversing unit, rather than 'bump & reverse'.

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

Bachmann makes "O" scale E-Z Track which can be used for Lionel or MTH "bump and go"  trolleys.
https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=491_885
Feel like a Mogul.

Karissa

Yes, that is the trolley that I have!

Terry Toenges

I haven't seen that track before. I would say that if you can find a piece of O scale track, try it on there and see if if fits. If so, then you can buy O scale track. Bachmann's O scale track has 3 rails. There are other 2 rail O scale tracks out there if you Google "O scale 2 rail track"
From Google - "O gauge model railroad tracks typically have their rails spaced 1.25 in (31.75 mm) apart with the United States National Model Railroad Association (NMRA) standard allowing spacings between 31.75 mm and 32.64 mm."
Feel like a Mogul.