Difference between mobile decoder and a motor decoder

Started by Ralph S, October 10, 2023, 05:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph S

I've run into a problem that needs clarification.  My search for decoders to modify my existing DC diesel locomotives (no steam locos on my list).  I ran into different models of decoders.
A) Mobile decoders
B) Motor decoders
C) Sound decoders

I have several Bachmann Decoders Model 44916, and 44914 but there is no mention of which decoder they are.  I assume currently that they are B) motor decoders.   I am also assuming that A) mobile decoder and B) motor decoder are the same.  But are they?

So can someone please inform me of the differences between the three decoders mentioned.  Google and this forum's search didn't help with a decent (common sense/layman's) answer.

jward

I've only ever heard of mobile and stationary decoders. I would assume the motor decoder would be a mobile decoder.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Ralph S

Interesting,  Okay, now adding to the list is: "stationary decoders".  Again I am assuming that a stationary decoder is the same as a mobile decoder.   

I got the "motor decoder" name from several website hobby shops, but again they were brand names like digitrax, and soundtraxx, etc., but the hobby shops states "motor decoder".  Go figure?

Fred Klein

Ralph,

Basically, you're on the right track (no pun intended). Both motor decoders and/or sound decoders can be a mobile decoder, meaning that they move around the layout. A lot of motor decoders and sound decoders are separate entities but there are some out there that are combined into one package. However they all have one thing in common: they all move around the layout, usually in a locomotive but sometimes in freight and passenger cars as well.

Stationary decoders are, usually, for turnouts, turntables and other accessories that need to be controlled on the layout, hence the term 'stationary".

I know this tends to be confusing but hopefully I've been able to add a little bit of clarity.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

Ralph S

Thanks, this does help a lot.  Much clearer explanation than what I was able to find.