Replacement decoders for Bachmann N scale locomotives

Started by dennyodoms@gmail.com, December 15, 2023, 02:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennyodoms@gmail.com

In a previous thread, I discovered that Bachmann is not presently in the position to offer replacement decoders for their locomotives. Since I have two of these with defective decoders (the motion ones; the sound works fine), I decided to do a little research to find out what was available. DigiTrax has a cross-reference page on their website that I found quite useful. One of my locomotives is the "Light Mountain", for which DigiTrax lists 4 different replacement decoders. This seems to solve one problem for me. The second locomotive is a "Ten-Wheeler" that I got with a "whistle Stop" train set. This locomotive is not listed in the cross-reference, but the Bachmann "Consolidation" (2-8-0) is listed. Since this is of about he same size and period as the "Ten-Wheeler", it is possible that one of the two decoders DigiTrax lists for the "Consolidation" is a possible replacement for the "Ten-Wheeler".

Since the Bachmann people came forward in my previous thread to answer my questions, I hope they are able to answer a couple more. First, does the "Ten-Wheeler" share the same decoder as the "Consolidation"? (If so, there is a good possibility that the DigiTrax replacement will also fit.) Secondly, are the decoders hardwired in or do they use the standard 8-pin connector? I am not to the level yet that I want to dig into one of these miniscule units without all the knowledge I can accumulate.)

Here is a link to the DigiTrax cross-reference page I found useful : https://www.digitrax.com/products/engine-matrix/decoder/.

Tenwheeler01

Just quick question.  Have you tried doing a factory reset on your misbehaving decoders?   This should be listed in the instructions that came with the locomotive.  Usually it is setting CV8 to the value of 8. 

Also which Digitrax decoder models are you looking at?  I have installed several Digitrax decoders into N scale locos for the past 20+ years. But I have not install any in the latest Bachmann runs since they started adding decoder sockets.  My go to decoder for N scale steam locomotives is the DZ126.

A good place to check is the N scale locomotive encyclopedia on this web site http://www.spookshow.net/trainstuff.html 

I the past 20+ and with over 50 decoders I have only had 3 good bad on there own.  I have damage a couple   

dennyodoms@gmail.com

Thank you for your prompt response.

To answer your questions. First, did I do a factory reset of the decoder? I have not, as the instructions that came with the locomotive specifically say : "If a Bachmann decoder-equipped locomotive has been operated exclusively with a Bachmann E-Z-Command controller, this step is not necessary since the E-Z-Command controller does not reprogram configuration variables." I have only used the specified Bachmann controller. I only wish it were that easy; I have gone through the E-Z-Command manual and can find no instructions for resetting the decoder. In addition, the failure of the decoders does not appear to be a configuration change, but rather a deterioration of function.

The DigiTrax controllers I am looking at for the "Light Mountain" are the DN136D, the DZ123, the DZ126, or the DZ146 From my initial analysis, it looks like the DN136 is the most capable of the group. They do not list a direct replacement for the "Ten-Wheeler", hence my inquiry.

Thank you for the additional source.

The primary reason I am interested in DigiTrax, is because of their cross-reference. Plus, from my limited experience, they seem to be in the forefront of the field.

Tenwheeler01

My best advice is if you have a local model railroad shop that can test them for you.  Or Download JMRI (freeware) and buy a USB computer interface and use Decoder Pro. This allows you to read all the CV values, make changes and save it as a locomotive profile (CV backup).   

But the first thing to do is open the tenders and check how the decoder broad is attached to the PCB.  I only have one of the new Bachmann N scale steamers with DCC sound, It's a 4-8-2 and it has a row of 9 pins that the decoder plugs into.  I have not seen an after market decoder that uses this socket.  But Bachmann's parts store has 2 decoders that will fit this socket AE32080 for the 4-8-2 and  AE32071 for the 2-8-0.  Bachmann has a wiring diagram for the N 4-6-0 non sound DCC. https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/N_BALDWIN_4-6-0_EXPLODE_DRAWING_N514X_(1).pdf.  Also checkout parts number 514XX-N514X-DCC01 and N514X-DCC01-PCB02 Tender PCB (n 4-6-0) This is the tender PCB with the built in decoder that the pdf is talking about. (These parts may be the ones you are looking for). 

You said the 4-6-0 has a sound decoder?  According to the Soundtraxx website the bachmann 4-6-0 comes with a Econami decoder. This decoders information and manual is available on the Soundtraxx site. (This is a very high quality decoder.)

dennyodoms@gmail.com

Thanks for your valuable contribution. Although well intended and most likely correct, it won't work for me for a couple of reasons. First, since I am in the Florida Keys, there is no such thing as a "local model railroad shop". Second, at 81 and with crippling arthritis, I have no desire to become a DCC repair guru. I bought the Bachmann stuff because they seemed to have a good reputation and the best variety of equipment. Luckily, the two locomotives are still under warranty and are back at Bachmann for repair or replacement. My concern is what I can do when they are out of warranty. I might be able to handle changing out a factory replacement component, but that's about it, hence my specific questions. I do appreciate the information about the 8 vs 9 pin decoder sockets.

Hopefully the repairs will hold, and if not, replacement decoders will become available from Bachmann. Regarding the sound functions; I was very impressed with the variety and quality of the sound effects. They still work perfectly.