Issue with running SC-44 DCC equipped unit

Started by AMarkland86, December 16, 2023, 05:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AMarkland86

Good Evening folks,
     I have been out of the model railroad scene for years (still followed the real railroading world and still have been interested in the models as well in general).  Last year, my brother on a whim got me a new Bachmann SC-44 Charger locomotive with DCC operation.  Well I uncovered my old HO layout today (it was buried in the basement, I am looking to resurrect it and I finally have a chance to) and decided to try the new locomotive out.  I only have an older style DC rheostat-type transformer and not a DCC setup.  I read in the startup guide paper with the locomotive that it is safe to run on this style of power supply.  I cleaned the track up and I gave it some juice and the thing lit up- blew the horn, flashed the lights and took off incredibly smoothly...it was pretty impressive.  I ran it back and forth a few times, I got an Amfleet coach all prepped for a test-run and photo op. 

When it was time to depart, I went to accelerate the locomotive, the lights come on nice as can be but the sound and the motor do not engage!!  I tried changing direction numerous times and unfortunately the issue wasn't rectified.  Could anyone offer some insight on what could be the issue?  I hope I didn't damage the locomotive by running it with this power source.  The little time I did get to run the locomotive, what an incredibly smooth running unit- nothing like my old locomotives which mainly date from the '90s.