Has anyone modified Bachmann’s road crossings (model 44579)

Started by Ralph S, December 20, 2023, 12:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph S

Has anyone modified Bachmann's Road crossings (model 44579) shown below to have the crossing gates lower before the train gets to the road.   Currently as Bachmann would state, "the crossing gates will drop upon train approach".

In actuality, the gates drop when the engine front reaches the edge of the road.     Since I have several of these crossings, I was wondering if anyone applied, say a roto switch or a tortoise switch with a timer to the bottom of the pressure plate to have the crossings drop prior to the engine reaching the crossings.   The flashing lights can be added (not shown in the image) easily, it's the crossing gate operation I'm most interested in.

I'm sure the professional hobbyist will use the individual crossing gates to obtain that effect.  I just believe that with a small modification this crossing can be just as good as the individual crossing gates.
With past experience... a site search, I found one topic that came close to an answer. 
"Crossing Gate Tips and tricks.
Started by airferber, April 23, 2013, 04:19:52 PM"
 My understanding of that tip and trick was to stop the bouncing of the gate.  I'm looking for the gate to drop at least 9 inches more or less before the engine reaches the gate and raise by at least that much after the last car.

trainman203

The bachmann gate lowers when pressure of the engines weight is on the accessory track.  The operation of the stock unit is suited to toy train operations for which it is intended. Prototypical operation which you appear to want is a good bit more involved , needing remotely placed sensors and motors. It's probably easier to start over with new crossing gates/signals intended to be prototypically operated with sensors and motors.   Such items are common on advanced layouts.  However, when you study operation of prototype signals, you will see that the signals activate when the train is a fair distance away from the crossing, but cease operation after the train has passed by only a couple of car lengths.  This format actually requires four sensors, two for each direction, each set consisting of a distant approach one and a closely placed departure one.

An Internet search will reveal several manufacturers of these model items. I don't use any on my period layout, but I do know that there are multiple sources for more prototypically operating signaling system . As per the Bach Man's house rules, it's not appropriate to recommend specific products of other manufacturers in his house.

jward

Have you looked at the Bachmann and Tyco groups on Facebook? I seem to recall somebody there modified a grade crossing to work the way you want it to, but I'm not sure what mods were made to it. The end result was pretty impressive.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Ralph S

This is great news....  That at least someone else thought about or performed such an operation.  That gives me the feeling that I can do it to.  I know that sensors will need to be placed appropriately and that some physical connections by some sort of electrical/mechanical device will need to be used, but now I know it can be done with some finesse and patience.

As always, if I am able to accomplish this I'll be like Len and show images of how I did it.  ...but don't hold your breath. 

Terry Toenges

You might be able to use something here by replacing the gates with these.
https://www.azatrax.com/ho-scale-crossing-gates.html
-----------------
[/url]https://www.azatrax.com/working-crossing-gates.html[/url]
Feel like a Mogul.

Ralph S

I was looking into those Tortoise machines.  I haven't bought a tortoise yet.  I'm concerned that the tortoise isn't strong enough to depress (pull down) that center base between the tracks. 

The intent is not to modify the Bachmann road crossing but to enhance it to support more realism of the crossing gate.   My issue is I like a layout, but after say a year or so, I like to change things up.  If I cannibalize the road crossing it may not work else where on the layout.

The electrical parts are an easy fix, as you indicated from azatrax.com.