News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reassemble Spectrum 2-8-0

Started by cmsluss, January 01, 2024, 12:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmsluss

Greetings all...

I need help reassembling the boiler of a Spectrum 2-8-0.  If I get the washers aligned to attach the screws and chassis connectors, the spacers on the bottom of the boiler either move or fall out of place. If I get the bottom of the boiler aligned, the top is too wide to accommodate the chassis connectors and screws. If I am fortunate enough to get the boiler alinged, it's difficult to get the cover over the motor assembly without everything coming apart and keeping the motor in place with the belt drive.

I know I can use a drop of glue to secure the washers and spacers until I get the screws in place, but, that doesn't resolve the alignment issues so everything fits as it should.

This has been a frustrating task. I would prefer to keep the engine running and not make it a display model.

I truly appreciate your help and suggestions! Thank you in advance!

trainman203

Just curious.  Why did you take it apart? I've had about a dozen consolidations over the last 15 years with eight or so of them still on the layout that I didn't trade off.  I never had to completely disassemble one of them ever.  The most I did was removed the bottom plate on the frame that holds the drivers in, only to clean and lubricate the gear and clean the pick up wipers.  And that was not a hard job to do at all.

cmsluss

Hello trainman!

Thank you for your thoughtful reply!

On the wiring harness, a lead to the motor broke, so I thought it would be best to run a continuous wire from the motor to the tender rather than splice a segment of wire. Had I known I was getting into this tedious process, I would have gone a different route. I thoroughly enjoy this little locomotive and I would rather it run than be a display unit.

Thank you again! Keep the trains running and happy railroading!