News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Layout using SCARM

Started by RedMt Dave, January 04, 2024, 02:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedMt Dave

So I'm using the free version of the SCARM software to design my track layout using Bachmann track.
I have two small imperfections (according to the software) where my track ends are just slightly off. I have tried every combination of track lengths and cannot get my layout perfectly aligned.
My question is this: How precise do the track ends need to be? Is there enough "play" with standard rigid track to get the track pieces to connect?
Thank you in advance for your guidance.

BobZ

What is the distance between the track ends? My layout is fairly large EZ-Track (16x16 L Shaped). Most of it was designed using AnyRail. I had several locations where the track ends were slightly apart and I found there was enough 'play' to connect or I found the 'right' combination of shorter lengths. Good luck.

RedMt Dave

Hey Bob, It looks like it is less than 1/4" long. I've been able to adjust the layout so that there is only one place where this occurs.  Everything else now lines up.
I tried using the free version of Anyrail, but it stops you after 50 pieces of track.  Looks like my revised layout will have about 90 pieces.
Thanks for your reply.

Len

One way around the 50 piece layout limitation is to do two half layouts. Print to the same scale and tape them together.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

In both SCARM and AnyRail, you can go under Settings and adjust the tolerances to allow tracks with mismatched angles to connect, within reason of course.

In SCARM, go to Settings> Edit> Tolerances and set them. I have mine set to 5 degrees, and .25" which will allow connections to any track within those settings.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA