New HO turnouts and cross overs

Started by Lildog, January 19, 2024, 07:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lildog

I have several new R. and L. Turnouts  and cross overs just getting back into railroading can these be used for DCC CENTER frogs are metal

Ralph S

I had expected that the more experienced modelers would have answered this quite easily.  That is, I read your question, and signed off thinking by the time I relog on, that you would have received an answer.
Since I'm only an intermediate modeler (not a professional, not highly experienced, but still learning) this is where I might be able to answer your question.

First off, one needs to know what make of turnouts do you have?  That is, is it Bachmann, Atlas, Pico, Marklin, etc.   How old are your turnouts, from my experience very old turnouts are not DCC friendly.

I've learned that this forum is historical in nature, thereby all you have to do to get your question answered is to put that question (short phrase is a good start) into the forum's search box).

One such search turned up this:
plastic frogs vs steel frogs on turnouts
Started by gehdoc97, August 24, 2014, 10:26:13 AM

another search found this:
Bachmann switches
Started by philws, April 02, 2015, 06:59:01 PM

lastly try this:
Bachmann EZ DCC track
Started by Sunnyfield, December 08, 2011, 03:32:07 PM

I tried to find those most closely related to your question.  Hopefully, you can now move forward and get an answer to your questions by doing your own search.   Believe me, every question I've asked...so far, have been ones where I could not get a clear answer after I performed a search for answers. 

This forum is the "diamond in the rough" that the other forums do not take into account.  Prior questions asked over and over again with many answers and thought-provoking queries abound in this forum.

Hope this helps.  Search, if not satisfied, ... ask again.

jward

I can't speak for others, but I tend to restrict my answers to subjects I have first hand knowledge of. That way, I am not inadvertently giving bad advice based on ,y perception of what others have said. I, like many others on this forum, do not use EZ track on my layout. My track is handlaid, built on the spot or in jigs that I own. Therefore, anything I say about wiring an EZ track switch for DCC is irrelevant.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

I couldn't understand the question enough to answer

Len

Quote from: Lildog on January 19, 2024, 07:12:49 PMI have several new R. and L. Turnouts  and cross overs just getting back into railroading can these be used for DCC CENTER frogs are metal

This site has a lot of info on what makes a turnout 'DCC Friendly', or not. And how to deal with the ones that are not.
https://wiringfordcc.com/switches.htm

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.