Running a DC train with the EZ Command plus

Started by jdeilus, January 21, 2024, 07:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdeilus

I purchased the DCC Digital Commander set along with a Thomas and Friends Set. The Thomas and Friends is DC.  I seen on older youtube videos where you can use an interconnector cable to connect your DC controller to the EZ Command.  The EZ command had an additional port in the back for the inter connector cable.  Seems like an excellent Idea.  The new EZ command plus has not port in the back.  Its my understanding that running a DC train on with the EZ command you can only run the DC train by itself, but with the DC controller hooked up with it with the interconnector cable you can run both the DC and DCC trains.  So how do I do this with the EZ Command Plus?

Ralph S

You ask an interesting question.  First off, let me say that I'm not an expert on this.  With that said, I will add some information that you may or may not be aware of.  Lastly, I haven't purchased the EZ command Plus, but I'm contemplating buying it. 

The older EZ DCC controller (model 44901) does allow the connection of a DC power pack controller (model 44212).   Below is an excerpt from the Bachmann DCC controller instruction manual for the 44901.

"...NOTE: WHEN OPERATING A DC LOCOMOTIVE ON ADDRESS "10," BE SURE TO MONITOR IT CLOSELY. SOME DC MOTORS ARE SUBJECT TO OVERHEATING AND DAMAGE WHEN OPERATING FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME ON DCC SYSTEMS.
Using the black interconnecting power cable provided, you can also connect a Bachmann DC controller to your E-Z Command Control Center as shown in figure 18. When connected, address 10 automatically converts from its original DC (analog) assignment to DCC (digital).  Thus, a tenth digital address becomes available, and the connected DC controller will allow you or a friend to control a DC locomotive in conjunction with your E-Z Command system.  The Bachmann #44212 power pack, available from hobby retailers, is ideally suited to this application (figure 19).
NOTE: MAKE ALL THE CONNECTIONS BETWEEN YOUR DC CONTROLLER, THE E-Z COMMAND CONTROL CENTER AND THE TRACK BEFORE CONNECTING THE WALL PACK POWER SUPPLY. AS THERE IS CONSTANT AC POWER TO THE TRACK, WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO NOT LEAVE A DC LOCOMOTIVE STATIONARY
ON THE LAYOUT FOR EXTENDED PERIODS
...."

If the EZ Command Plus doesn't have the above expected connections, then you will have to consult Bachmann to determine what options are available.   

From my experience it is not a good practice to run both DC and DCC locomotives at the same time.  The manual excerpt above also points this out. 

If you're wondering what I've done in this situation, a few years back, I decided to run only DCC.  I do have a small DC powered section (electrically isolated from DCC) that can operate my DC locomotives for my old locomotive museum.

For additional information click on the subject discussion below:
Bachmann Online Forum> Discussion Boards> General Discussion> E-Z Command Plus I/O Port:
E-Z Command Plus I/O Port   Started by RedMt Dave, January 12, 2024, 03:09:02 PM

Hope this helps.

jward

Have you considered converting Thomas to DCC? It is easy to hardwire a Z scale decoder in place of the PC board in Thomas's cab. Years ag0 I posted how to do this over in the Thomas forum.

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/smf/index.php?topic=17870.0

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

Once should always be careful when purchasing locomotives versus the power supply.  It is more complicated than the days when you bought a transformer and just ran your toy train.  Not any old train can run on any old power supply.