News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

AC

Started by Bill Baker, January 06, 2008, 12:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Baker

hi my name is justin and im 11 years ild.  my gramps said i could ask questions while he is in the hospital.  im trying to hook my old train set up. i have a ho desil and 2 steam engines. that i know to hook up to dc. i also have 2 of his old buildings that have lights in them. do i hook these up to the ac on my trainsformer.  what is ac used for.  thanks justin.
Bill

SteamGene

AC will run the lights in the buildings  You can also power them with a 9 volt battery.  Is your grandfather a member here?  In any event, my best wishes on his recovery.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jake

^Well, gene, considering his profile has 118 posts before the counter shut off, I would have to say yes that Bill Baker is this kid's grandfather.

And yes, AC is typically used for AC (Alternating Current) powered accessories. Such as turnout motors and building lights.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

kevin2083

The lights will last longer if you dont use the full 16V from the transformer. Try wiring them in series-that will put less voltage to each light.

I hope your grandpa gets better, too
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

SteamGene

Jake, in all honesty, I didn't even look at that.  I expect you are right.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Bill Baker

i told gramps that some wrote back to my question and he said what did they say.  he laffed and said he hoped they would not kick him off the program.  he is doing fine.  he will come home tomorow and said he will not be able to sit on the tolet as long as he use to.  justin
Bill

Bill Baker

To All,

Thank you all for the kind thoughts. After reading Justin's e-mails I really need to work with him on his spelling.

This past Saturday, instead of working on my layout, I decided it would be a good idea to take down the Christmas lights on my house.  Well, my old nemises, gravity, got the best of me. I remember sticking a foot out to where I thought the ladder was, I remember screaming on the way down, and I remember hitting something that felt like concrete. Justin said he saw me bounce, but I don't recall that at all.  Anyway, to make a long story short, I wound up in the hospital with a sprained shoulder, abrasions on my side and back and a healthy respect for my local gravity well.

But most of all I want to thank those who wrote back to Justin with an answer to his question....he's been talking about that all day long.  I think we might have another model railroader in the works.

Bill
Bill

SteamGene

Capitalization, too.  ;D  Hey, I have an old parachutist insignia lying around somewhere.  Do you want me to send it to you? 
And no, it's not mine.  The Commanding General, Ft. Gordon, GA, decided he'd have to close the post if 2LT Moser were three more weeks reporting for duty. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat