News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Figure 8 with 30 degree problem

Started by DTrain, January 06, 2008, 12:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTrain

I just recently purchased a Bachman 30 degree crossing piece (44540).  I also have twenty-two 18" curved pieces.

The pieces seem to fit together nicely as a figure 8 but when the engine goes over the 30 degree piece it slows down.  At first I thought it was not a big problem so I added a couple of cars but now the two cars that I added now derail and the train stops.  Is there something that I need to do to the 30 degree piece for the cars to run successfully over it?

WoundedBear

Do you have any straight sections of track?

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how 22 sections of 18" radius and a 30 degree cross-over can be assembled into a figure 8.

Terry Toenges maybe able to help you....he seems to have EZ Track mastered.

Sid

Terry Toenges

I don't know about the stopping. I've never had that problem.
How long is your loco? Is it a little one?
Feel like a Mogul.

DTrain

I tested it again and found out that the engine is stuttering more so than stopping when it crosses over the areas of the 30 degree that are plastic.  I tested it first with just the engine and then with the engine and a small caboose.  The engine and the caboose stutter but they both stay on track.

Is there something I can do to keep the connection when the engine goes over the 30 degree piece - maybe small pieces of nickel silver or is there a trick I can use with rail joiners?

kevin2083

Sounds like the rail isn't in the rail joiner, but is on top of it instead. Run your finger over the joints in both directions-you shouldn't feel a bump. You may also want to crimp the rail joiners slightly with a needle nose pliers to help with contact problems.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

DTrain

The rail seems to be in the rail joiner, I checked again to make sure.  The engine doesn't lose power (stutter) when it goes over the 30 degree piece but when it gets to the part where the track actually "X"'s in the middle of the 30 degree piece - where there is a combination of plastic and the nickel silver.