New to HO and trains, have questions and problems

Started by scourge, January 07, 2008, 01:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scourge

I bought a HO set for my Grandson just before Christmas, with extra EZ-Track.  The set doesn't have barely 3 hours total usage.  Yesterday the engine started moving very erratically, and barely at all.  As I look at the exploded diagram of the engine, (Sante Fe motive) it appears that both the front and rear sets of wheels propel the engine.  Is this correct?
When I set the train on the tracks with the front wheels and turn up the reostat, only the rear wheels move.  I hear something from the front end, but the wheels do not turn.

Could someone please give me some assistance.  I have contacted Bachman service.  It just irritates me that something with this few of hours, I will now not have the use of, nor my grandson, for who knows how long.

Thanks and sorry for the rant.

Scourge.

SteamGene

I assume it is a diesel.  Most modern diesel models take up power will all the wheels and are powered.  Are all your track pieces still firmly linked?  Not the roadbed, but the track itself. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

scourge

Yes, it's a diesel 'Sante Fe' model. 
Thanks, I'll check all the track connections.  Maybe one is loose that I didn't notice.  Sure would be easier than having to send in the engine and wait for it's return.

SteamGene

I should have mentioned this.  Just run your finger over each rail joint, both ways.  Your finger should slide freely.  if you feel a bump, you have a rail on top of a joiner. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

Dearest scourge,

You may be entitled to a rant, but no one can help you without some more technical information.

One - "Santa Fe" diesel tells us nothing, it is like saying to the auto parts guy "I need brake shoes for my blue Ford" - He needs to know what year and model Ford, we need to know which model Bachmann diesel - GP30, FT, SD40-2, etc. The Santa Fe railroad name comes on lots of different locos from Bachmann and other manufacturers.

Two - how old is your grandson and has he been allowed to play unsupervised? This question is not meant to insult in any way, however these are not toys, they are delicate models and sometimes youngsters can be a little too rough with them. I say this particularly because of the problem you discribe of the one power truck not working - these trains cannot be pushed around the track by hand, this can damage the gears.

Three - where did you purchase it? Any good hobby shop will at least look at it to determine the problem if you bought it from them - regardless of how the repair or replacement might need to be handled.

Sheldon