News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Acela Express HO (curves, dcc, and sound)

Started by DrTrainMan, January 13, 2008, 04:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrTrainMan

Hey The Bach Man! I got a question for you. Would the Acela Express fit around 18 inch radius curves? I see it comes with 22 inch radius ones, but I want to know if it is capable of going around 18 inch ones. PLEASE REPLY!!!!!

Dr Train Man

kevin2083

IF it's capable, it probably won't look very good doing it.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

DrTrainMan

Thanks, but I have a layout that has like one or two 18 inch radius curves. I need to know if it fits too because if it doesn't, I probably won't have enough room for it.

Conrail Quality

From my experiences with it, no. Remember, it does use full-size 85' passenger cars.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

DrTrainMan

Thanks for the advice. Im going to buy new turns just for this train. What curves would you recommend? Is it worth buying the train?

Conrail Quality

I would indeed recomend it, it's a excellent piece of work from Bachmann. I've run it on 22" radius with few operational difficulties, although it would look it's best going at 30" or above. A good place to find out Acela info (both real and HO) is David Harrison's Acela site:  http://web.mac.com/msibnsf/iWeb/Acela%20Express,%20The%20Need%20For%20Speed/Acela%20Express,%20The%20Need%20For%20Speed.html
Timothy

DrTrainMan

Would that mean I shouldn't use 22" inch radius curves either? I dont have that much room for 30 inch radius turns.

Conrail Quality

Quote from: DrTrainMan on January 13, 2008, 10:41:29 PM
Would that mean I shouldn't use 22" inch radius curves either? I dont have that much room for 30 inch radius turns.

You can certainly use 22" curves. The only issue will be that the cars will overhang the rails, making it look less prototypical. Still, that is a problem with almost alll passenger cars, so if you want any type of passenger cars, you will have to deal with this issue. However, if space is limited, there's really nothing you can do about it. If you can fit 22" radius curves, there's no reason why you can't run the Acela.
Timothy

DrTrainMan

ok. Ill try to fit as many 30 inch radius curves as I can. I measured the room, and I think I might be able to fit them, at the cost of taking out some straight tracks. Where would you recommend buying these big curves? Oh and the Acela is DCC compatible right? Can you explain to me how this digital command thing works? Do I have to install anything? If I do, how? I really need some help here.

Thanks again for all your help!

Tim

Dr Trainman

The Acella is DCC ready not DCC equipped.

It will run just fine on DC right out of the box.

It can easily converted to DCC at a later time if you so decide.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Conrail Quality

Remember this, in model railroading, we build layouts with curves much sharper than the prototype locomotives could handle. If we were exactly true to scale, our locmotives would need 50"-60" radius track to avoid derailments. But since most people simply do not have that kind of space, our models are built to compensate for that. In other words, neither 30" or 22" is correct, and since you (like 99% of other HO modelers) don't have space for 50" curves, you do not need to be a slave to the prototype. Either one is fine for operation, so it is up to you waht you think looks best. Remeber: it's your railroad.

As for DCC, Tim is correct, the Acela can be converted to DCC very easily if you so chose at a later date. However, you will only need DCC if you start running multiple trains on the same track. Here's a link with lots of DCC info:
http://www.tonystrains.com/tonystips/dccprimer/index.htm
Timothy

JAS

I run the Acela Express on EZ-Track 26" curves, and it looks fine.
-JAS

DrTrainMan

ok. Im settled with the curves now. Is it possible to put sound in the acela express? I am planning on adding DCC to my layout. What kind of transformer and decoder would you suggest?