News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Clicking noise from spectrum 2-10-2

Started by johnnyutah, January 16, 2008, 04:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyutah

I have a spectrum 2-10-2 that makes a clicking noise under load, I noticed a previous post by Brad that he thinks it is a cracked gear, any comments?
I would like to know if this is a problem for this model, and if so where inside the loco is it located, for example, the gearing located directly off the motor or is it the gears on the dive axles? I would like to know before I go in. The loco is new, but I live in Oz so the hassels (cost+ time+ the unknowen) of sending it to the states makes it not viable as a warranty job. Any help welcome.

the Bach-man

Dear Johnny,
Why not return it to the dealer?
Have fun!
the Bach-man

johnnyutah

I got it off a guy on ebay very cheep knowing the risks, so I figured the worst I could do is score a decoder and parts, but I fancy I can make her work beuatifuly with the help of a few friends, hint hint! So any ideas guys? I oppend her up to find all parts to be pristine ( no cracked gears as sugested) I was wondering if this had happend to anyone else? I am taking a punt and guessing the gears in the gear column have a little to much lateral tollerance, allowing the occational poor alighnment, creating an edge of gear to edge of next gear (minimal contact) alignment, resulting in horrible grinding noises and slippage. Any ideas anybody?

James Hail

Wheel treads off center with axle and or bad quartering.........I just sent a 2-8-0 in for the same reason...brand new.

Set the loco on flat level track and shine a light at the treads where they meet the track and watch it as it creeps under power....also see if at a stop on flat track you have any gaps under wheels....or wheels with little to no down force(not bearing weight of the loco thereby floating around free to click)

Bachmann must be making the wheels with hand tools.......My 6 year old has toys with truer running wheels......These locos wobble and hump up and down
and when a wheel is undersized in OD or the chassis is milled to deep for the axle so that no load is down on the wheel  you get a driver floating above the track until a siderod drives it down....and ....CLICK.

Lack of caring at the factory......In their "top of the line " Locos.......kinda a bummer......Does anyone make Steamers thats wheels run true? Can Bachmann? ??? >:

Jim
Currently landscaping and ballasting a 4x10 HO.....using a NCE DCC PowerCab and Having a Blast.[move]