News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N&W 4-8-4 J Class alignment

Started by amtigereye, January 16, 2008, 01:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amtigereye

Recently purchased 3 and am experiencing a tracking problem.  When the loco and tender exit a curve to a straight section, the loco is skewed and the tender is straight.  Doesn't look good but runs ok.  We have tried 2 different layouts and different radius curves.  We think it has something to do with the type of drawbar, sort of like two Y's end to end. Any suggestions appreciated.
UPDATE: I removed Part # 00T01 from loco and part # 00T02 from tender (drawbar connection points) and removed the elbows in the slots completely with a hobby knife.  This has taken care of the allignment problem and the unit still runs on 18" radius.  We are happy with the results.

GN.2-6-8-0

Looking at the diagram for the J believe i see what your talking about p/n 00T03....strange looking drawbar if thats it,also see what looks like a mating part 00T02 with slots for the drawbar to fit in, try lubing those slots with a little plastic compatible grease ,bet you'll also find the same slots on the locomotive frame under the cab....lube those also.
try it and let us know if it helps.
Rocky Lives

Chesticus

I have noticed the same problem. If you find a solution I hope that you will post it here.

Chesticus

Virginian

You can take the drawbar assembly apart, polish (not sand mind you, polish) all the edges and bearing surfaces, and re-assemble it and lube everything with plastic compatible oil.
Or cut a new drawbar with a hole on each end out of a credit card, and then drill a little hole thru the old drawbar covers and pin the new one in place.  After a bunch of fiddling around with it, I replaced mine.  I can't run on 18" radius curves now, but since I don't have any, I don't care.  In my opinion, the drawbar design, which is supposed to allow closer coupling and still make it around rather small curves, is a good idea that did not work out too well in practice, because of the relatively small loads developed thru the components, and the need to control manufacturing costs.  I have no doubt a full sized similar arrangement with roller bearings on the pins on the 'Y's would work fine.
"What could have happened... did."