News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

positioning buildings with blocks

Started by SteamGene, January 17, 2008, 01:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Who has tried positioning/attaching buildings to the layout using blocks inside the building?  I'm thinking strongly about beginning to attach some buildings and would like to try that method.  Any hints?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

kevin2083

I guess that would work, with the obvious disadvantage of no lights in them.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

TonyD

I'll tell ya Gene, if you are still at this point, concider a hard sheet under the whole scene, so's that the ground cover, do dats and everything can come right out of the picture. If there is a big wreck, you don't scrunch up anything else, and you got elbow room if big track jobs crop up.. and I don't use anything heavy, I found some sort of poster board, -1/8" thick, 1x2foot piece weighs nothing, some scenes have small old pieces of that hard chip board useless for anything else. Things get dusty, take it off the layout and clean it on the kitchen table... took this idea from stuff people bring to prototype modeler's meets and shows.... works for me
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

SteamGene

Kevin,
From what I have heard, the blocks are at the corners.  Still possible to have lights and even interior scenery in many cases. 
Tony,
Even with a lift out, the buildings need to be attched to the layout - especially with a lift out.  With my layout, it's going to be hard to carry pieces from the train barn to the kitchen.  I may have a lift out in front of the air conditioner, just so I can get to iit twice a year to change from cooling to heating and vice versa and clean the filter. 
It dawned on me that with foam, it might be possible to use CA to attach small finsihing nails/brads at the corners which would then be driven into the foam to hold the building in place and still allow it to be moved for cleaning/maintenance, or whatever.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

japasha

Gene,

I have done this for club layouts. I use blind nuts in each corner. Other methods are inserting a small rod to engage a tube set in the layout.