Bachmann 2-8-0 #83604, brand new, makes "hiss" sound. Is that normal?

Started by PatMatDec, January 28, 2008, 10:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatMatDec

Hello gang,

I just bought a(BEAUTIFUL) 2-8-0 with belt drive and it makes a "hiss" kind of sound. I was wondering if that is normal? NOT a squeak or squeal, a hiss? It is my first new engine in a while so I am not sure what they are supposed to sound like.

Thanks

Chris

:D
CEO
Nantasket Beach Railroad

MC

The Hiss may be Cylinder Blowdown. Try the fuction 4 button, that should turn it off.
MC

TonyD

Mc is right- if you are sound equipt...R U? If not, and the hiss is only while it is rolling, yeah, something is rubbing, try to narrow it down, and while you are at it, carefully oil all the places and parts that you see in motion, valve gear, the bottom where the axles are covered with the plastic plate, but don't take anything apart unless you know what your doing.... it doesn't smell like  somethings burning when you hear the noise do you? Might have to go back.... good luck.
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

James Hail

Just a guess...mine out of the box had a dry bushing on the small,lower shaft with the worm gear....made a racket and left brass shavings around inside.....It got a free trip back to the seller for replacement as it had out of round wheels and other issues.

Could also be a wheel wiper (power pickup underneath that rubs the wheel backs at the rim) If the wheel back is machined rough or the wiper is bent wrong making it dig into the wheel it could have a "hiss" sorta.

Some good/some junk.

Jim
Currently landscaping and ballasting a 4x10 HO.....using a NCE DCC PowerCab and Having a Blast.[move]