My son´s HO bachman train does not run smoothly.

Started by Chapo, March 02, 2008, 04:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chapo

For Christmas,I got my son(he is 7) a  Bachman Chattanooga starter set, with a E Z track system(the black one). I also bought some more track and two turnouts seperately. It´s a pretty basic layout. 4x8 ply wood with a few accesories. Since he only runs it when supervised, we have not used it that much so it seems strange to me that in such a short time it would start too run very jerky cause the tracks and wheels weren`t that dirty(I cleaned them anyway), so I´m guessing locomotive problems? Is there anything else I can do?

PD we are completely new to this hobby so all help will be appreciated.

SteamGene

Is this a second hand set?  I thought black roadbed went out several years ago.  I'm afraid that the bad news is that the locomotive might be a poor runner with a pancake motor.  the good news is, if you are the first owner you can get a replacement free.  The replacement will be very good.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

BaltoOhioRRfan

All the Standard Bachmann Sets (that i'm aware of) come with the black track. I'd give Bachmann a call to see about a replacement or getting yours repaird.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

chuff_n_puff

I have found through personal experience with Bachmann engines that they have a tendancy to be jerky after they set for several days without running. I throttle mine wide open for about 5 minutes, then slow them back down to normal pace and it usually straightens them out. You might say you need to blow the sut out of them! Also on the cheaper Bachmann trains, unfortunately, they only have rail power pick up from one axel each per truck and sometimes just one truck powered. This limits rail contact and power lose to motor. This is real evident in the Bachmann Gandy Dancer(a 2 man motorized handcar). It only has one axel power pick up and it was born jerky! Hope this helps you.

Yampa Bob

I would think the loco has 6 wheel pickup, you might look behind the drivers to see if the wipers are all making  contact.  You may have to nudge them a little with a pin.

The steel track is notorious for rust and other oxidation, but you said you cleaned it.

A very handy tool is a cheap ammeter  with clips placed in one of the track leads.  The older analog with a needle shows the fluctuations better than a digital.  If the needle stays fairly steady, then there is something dragging or binding.

With the Bachmann warranty, you have peace of mind that it willl be repaired or replaced if there is a problem.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.