Bachman HO 81908 Spectrum 3 truck Shay

Started by Mickey, March 07, 2008, 01:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey

I need a little help. I have been away from modeling for many years so basically Im new to model rail roading.
I have a new Shay and I'm using a Railpower 1370. On  a test track at full power I can not get the engine to move better than a snails pace. Do I need a new transformer ( mine is 15 years old ) or is there a problem with the engine. Any advise / help will be greatly appreciated.

Pacific Northern

A snails pace you say.

The shay is a geared engine and as such moves very slowly compared to most other engines.

Do you not have other engines that you could test on your track?

Try running the shay on another layout?
Pacific Northern

Mickey

Thanks for your reply.
I have tried the Shay on a test track and it just creeps at any speed set on the transformer. My other engins run fine.
I understand that a Shay will move slowely but setting the speed at 1 to 100, just creeps.

WoundedBear

Does the motor sound like it's running at a million rpm's when you crank up the throttle?

Sid

Pacific Northern

The speed of these engines was apparently 15 to 20 mph.

Other than making sure all of the rods between the trucks are properly set in place and also that it has been very lightly oiled.

Break in for this engine is to set the speed at about half and run it forward and reverse for 20-30 minutes or so in each direction.

Even after the engine has been broken in there is not much of a significant increase in speed from the half throttle setting.
Pacific Northern

THB-DAVE

Mickey a Shay is a geared engine and it runs slow because that is fast as the real ones could go. Top speed for a shay was 15 mph and usaually ran much slower.

Dave

Mickey

Thanks to all for your replies and advise. I have run the engine and moderate speed for awhile, as per the advise posted and it appears to be more in line with the Shay operation. I do appreciate the comments and help. you guys have put me at ease.
Thanks again.